Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg set-up ???

Options
bean town griller
bean town griller Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I finally got a large BGE (thanks to someone's recommendation on this site to buy at Kirly masonry - real helpful and friendly, highly recommend). [p]So I spent the better part of yesterday setting up the egg and cooked spatchcock chicken and london broil (both from TNW's site - thanks for the recipes). Came out great - chicken was a hit, I actually overcooked the london broil, but still good.[p]I noticed that some smoke was coming out from one side of the egg. It was just a small amount but clearly it was coming out of one side and not the other. This morning when cool I inspected the top and bottom and how they line-up at the gasket. Alignment seems to be off a little in that the top almost seems a little larger than the bottom (a little overhang on opposite sides of the top). Anyone ever experience this? Did I mess up the set-up or is it normal to not have an exactly perfect alignment between the top and bottom? [p]Any help/advice would be appreciated![p]Thanks,
Bean town

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Bean town griller,[p]Odds are the leakage is not due to different diameters, but to the top not being well-seated. I'd recommend loosening both sides of the band on the dome. Have a helper hold the dome firmly on the body while you pull the bands up to the "shoulder" in the dome casting. Then retighten the bands, trying to keep the tension equal on both sides.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Unknown
    Options
    Bean town griller,[p]I noticed that with mine too and was kind of concerned. If you're standing in front of the egg, is yours in the back left? I have since started looking at egg sites of other people, and I notice that most have this in the same place. [p]I'm not worrying about it too much as everthing I've cooked has been great (save the dry pork loin on day one, but that was my fault). [p]If someone posts an explanation, I'll be interested in hearing it, but I don't think it's any big deal...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Bean town griller,
    In the past some of the spring hinge assemsbly's were made incorrectly. Mine did the same thing, never did close evenly ( the top half off about a 1/4 inch to the left). I called BGE and they sent me a replacement hinge, which is still in the box. The way to tell is to look at the way the handle is mounted to the top rim. If it is welded then its the old style hinge, if it's a bolt on then is a newer stlye and maybe realignment is needed. The offset really isnt a bother to me and has not affected my cooking.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    A small amount of smoke leakage is not abnormal by any means. It becomes a problem if the gap is large enough to allow air into the Egg and temperature control becomes difficult. As long as you can hold temps with no problem, I wouldn't worry about the smoke leakage.[p]Jim
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bean town griller,[p]that's what I was thinking, JSlots. Mine holds as high as 750 for as much as two hours without varying 5 degrees.
  • Bean Town
    Bean Town Posts: 7
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Ken - thanks for the advice. I'll try tonight.[p]
  • Bean Town
    Bean Town Posts: 7
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Just to clarify, are you talking about the handle to open and close the egg lid or a different part to the BGE?[p]I bolted the handle to the upper band, so assuming this is the new style hinge and may want to realign.[p]Thanks,
    Bean town

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Bean town, Yes the that has the BGE wooden handle. sounds like you have a new one. Sometimes you have to start all over and reinstall it all over again. make sure the nuts are secured on the back side also.