Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Signed up for my first eggfest

Options
snoqualmiesmoker
snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's June 5th, in Washington, and I signed up to cook.

What does one cook at an Eggfest?

Do I bring my own egg?

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Whether you need your own egg will be up to the eggfest organizers. Most eggfests do not require a cook to bring their own egg, but you should check with the organizer.

What to cook? Anything you want...but make sure you don't keep yourself so busy cooking that you miss out on the opportunity to mingle with the other eggheads and try out their food.

Last year I made blueberry muffins; philly cheesesteak roll (a la Jay's sausage roll) which had been pre-assembled, and just needed to be baked; and stir-fry, which has similarly pre-prepared and just needed to be cooked. This year I will spend a little less time cooking and a little more time wandering around.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    are these eggfest really that big?? Never been to one! :(
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    1) Cook anything you want. As little or as much you want.

2) Since you signed up to cook, they've reserved you one to cook on. Bring your own if you want to.

3) You're going to have a blast! This will be my 3rd PNW eggfest. Look for the Texas flag. See ya' there......

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I recommend that you make something easy that can be prepared in advance. Hopefully you will bring someone along to help you, which will allow you to get around to meet other eggers and check out what they are cooking.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    This was posted a few years ago by tjv and I found it very valuable:

Wondering about eggfests, here are a couple suggestions from my experiences.

- Don’t cook all day. You’ll pick your head up just in time to see everyone leave.
    - Unless you have an unusual offering, don’t plan to feed a battalion. You’ll end up begging folks to take food.
    - Food goes faster early than late in the day. Folks arrive hungry, eat and get full…..so the typical bbq goodies served late may be a hard give away.
    - The best way to offer food is to get in the crowd and starting serving. So preplan your food delivery process, including a clean way for folks to handle the food.
    - Arrive early; best time to have a relaxed conversation with someone is before the action starts.
    - You’re not going to “Let’s make a Deal” so no need to bring your entire kitchen. Half the fun is borrowing something, gives you a reason to meet and talk.
    - Wear your name tag with actual and forum name. Big letters are easy to read in a crowd. Remember, most folks only know your forum name.
    - Walk around and don’t be afraid to stick your nose in a group and say hello. We all have the same thing in common. Don’t know what to say, how about…….whatcha cooking?
    - Team up in small groups. It just makes life easier with supplies, cooking, handing food out and clean up. Don’t know anyone, find someone. It can be as easy as two neighbors pulling tables a little closer together.
    - If you really want to meet certain folks, make a list prior. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment and forget.
    - Be respectful of the moment….if you can’t say or do it in front of your mom, chances are it won’t fly at the fest.
    - If there is a special item you want to try, track it like a dog on a scent. Chances are if your interested others are too and it could be here and gone in a flash.

Enjoy the day, relax and have fun. Remember to thank those who sponsored and organized the event. Without them, you would not be there
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Great advice. Thanks for the repost.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :whistle:
    Darn, ya put the Wife last, shame on you, hope she does not see that. :woohoo:

Good Luck to ya, you're going to need it if she see that.

Regards,
    Bordello