Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a large egg

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been looking at buying a new grill, thought I had it figured out until I heard about the egg. I was ready to spend 500-600 for a good gas grill.But now you guys keep bragging about how good the egg cooks. Is anyone selling these large eggs for less than the 549 my local dealer seems to be charging. It just seems a bit high considering thats just the egg with no accesories yet. Please tell me if this is what you guys are paying.And do you ever you your gas grills anymore.My wife thinks I'm nuts especially when I showed her what the egg looked like. Also I was disappointed that the stand isn't even included. How well do recommend the metal stand or would you recommend making a table. Any good plans out there.
potential new egg man.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    kyle,[p]I can't tell ypu how much I have enjoyed my eggs (one quickly grew to two)! I thout I was doing the right thing when I bought a webber gas grill. Soon after that purchase, I experienced an egg. Wow, what a difference! I sold the gas grill and have never looked back.[p]About the stand, I have a stand, but am planning to build a table this summer![p]Smokey

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    kyle, do some shopping and comparing! Tally up what you will need, and I would build the table with HD roller/casters on one end and rubber tired wheels on the other end for ease of movement and stability. The BGE table shown on the accessories pages is very good. Plans are available for the home craftsman to modify or build as printed.
    Hope this helps and if you need the plans info I will post them or someone else may follow up with them. They have been posted many times in the archives..
    Cheers..and good luck..Welcome to the forum.
    Char-Woody

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    kyle,
    By all means shop around. William Sanoma catalog has the Egg for asle with the nest and nothing else for $699!
    When I got my Egg I was also looking for a Webber and I figure it was almost a wash as far as dollars go...maybe a bit more for the Egg and the Eggseories I got. The amount invested soon becomes a fading memory when you start to eat the Egg way. Suggestion: get the large Egg, the table, the daisy wheel and the dome themometer and get going!

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    kyle,
    I purchased my large egg last May from a local dealer who happened to be running a sale. I purchased the Egg, daisy wheel, thermometer, grill gripper and ash tool for $515 total (tax included). I've since built a table last fall and spent only about $60 in materials. Shop around.
    We're all a bit biased here, but you'll not find a better grill and/or smoker than BGE.

• WallyQ
    WallyQ Posts: 10
    Options
    kyle,[p]I purchased my Large BGE and a Ducane Gas Grill at the same time February, '99 (A Momentary Lapse of Reason). I still haven't gone through the first original tank of propane! I guess it's just a garage ornament now.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    WallyQ, I fired up my old gas grill today - finished a few Italian sausages that I started on the BGE. [p]I have ribs cooking on the BGE and didn't want to mess up the ribs - the results of 'Ol Gassy'... nothing close to the BGE. I have also had the same tank of gas since late last summer.[p]
  • Kyle
    Options
    Gfw,
    Ok I guess your making it clear. I guess i'll take out a loan to pay for the BGE, unless someone can tell me of a place selling them within a more reasonable budget for me.

• Gfw
    Options
    05_11_0018_13_01.jpg
    <p />kyle, if al GOOD things in life were free, they wouldn't be worth anything. If you can't afford the large, remember, I only have a medium... the picture is from yesterday![p]Another possibility, we used to go out for dinner 2-3 times every week. Now we go out 2-3 times every few months. Just a thought![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Kyle
    Options
    Gfw,
    O.k point taken. Looks like if I'm going to dive in I should get the large need to feed min 4 people. Do you think medium would work or am I on the edge.

• Gfw
    Options
    kyle, from someone who absolutely loves his medium BGE, I'd get the large. About $100 difference - minor! I almost wish I were starting over... ...

• Kyle
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the advice
    I am really getting hungry just thinking about taste and fun this is going to be.

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Options
    kyle, scroll down the forum a bit and read about "Is a BGE worth it?". Size does matter. Once you establish that yours is as big as the rest of ours,,, then you can buy a medium, small, and mini,,,, without worrying about grilling performance anxiety.. There is also a post about "Does size (BGE) really matter". It explains it all.. THE B.G.E. ESTABLISHED THAT ALL MEN & LADIES ARE CREATED EQUAL,, BUT ONLY IF THEY HAVE BIG GREEN EGGS.[p]You have my personal assurance that you won't be disappointed.
    H.A.G.W. (have a great weekend) Bruce

• Unknown
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I am curious if your purchase was on some promotional deal or special sale. I have called 3 dealers in PA, all seem to quote the same high (I assume) list prices. Do you possess amazing negotiation skills or what?
    OR have the prices now been fixed so that there is no discounting of the thing? (has happened with other things)[p]I am willing to pay a fair price for the egg, but don't want to be taken advantage of if I can help it.[p]Thanks.