Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help With Prime Rib Roast

Options
PapaQ
PapaQ Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just read through five pages of archived posts on prime rib and found three different methods for cooking - 1.low 'n slow (anywhere from 175* to 350*) until done, 2.sear first (500* to 800*) and then drop to 350* indirect to finish, and 3. cook at 350* indirect and then sear. I have a 3.5# boneless roast and am leaning toward the sear first method. I am open, however, to any other suggestions. [p]Thanks for your help. [p]Paul

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    PapaQ, I cook the beef roasts at 325-340* until internal temp reaches 125 (since we like it rare), without a sear to start.
    2-1-4-1075854732?m=1&pg=1&ro=0&co=3&pw=*28633FF1FA74

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    PapaQ,
    Alton Brown recommends cooking at a low temperature until you get close to your target, and then raise the temperature to form the lovely crust on the outside. I think this makes sense in the Egg since you don't want to heat up the egg and then try to get the temperature back down. So, cook low and slow first, then raise the temp to finish.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • PapaQ
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]With the sear last method, I assume I would need to take the platesetter and drip pan out to get the temp of the egg up. Am I assuming correctly?[p]Paul
  • PapaQ
    Options
    HML,[p]Man that looks good. I hope mine turns out that nicely. Do you cook yours direct or indirect with v-rack, platesetter, and drip pan? [p]Paul
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    PapaQ,
    Not really, just open the vents and you should be able to get the temps up. It might take a little longer, but it should be fine that way. I wouldn't do it long or the grease in the drip pan might start smoking.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    PapaQ,[p]Prime rib roast used to be my favorite thing to do on the egg, but I haven't done one in several years. Mainly because I don't have that kind of money anymore. I always insisted on a WHOLE PRIME rib roast, bone in.. It was always about $120.[p]I cooked it at about 325, and I put big lettuce leaves over the outside so it didnt' get charred.[p]I cooked it to rare in the middle, and always had enough to please everyone from Well done to rare. occasionally, I had to drop a piece into hot au jus to cook a piece up. I really want to do another one again, but It's a really expensive piece of meat, and for some reason, most of my friends at this point don't realize that this should be eaten rare/medium rare..[p]Well done just ruins this piece of meat. MW even ruins it. If I could get enough people together who could stand some pink, I'd do some more of these.. It's one of the "funnest" pieces of meat to cook. [p]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    PapaQ,[p]Well, I'll be the one to vary here...we've done about 1/2 a dozen prime rib roasts on the egg and all of them have been at about 250° using a recipe of Stogie's called "Kevi's King of the Roasts" and it has always turned out incredibly tender and flavorful. [p]prime-rib-slices.jpg[p]An 8 lb roast took about 5 hrs to reach 140° internal.[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Kevi's King of the Roasts[/ul]
  • PapaQ
    Options
    QBabe,[p]That roast looks beautiful. I'm using Kevi's recipe too, except I'doing it at about 315* (right this minute at 317*) and plan to kick it up some when the internal gets to about 125* for extra crust. It's at 101* internal right now. Hope it tastes as good as yours looks.[p]Thanks.[p]Paul
  • Unknown
    Options
    PapaQ,
    Indirect, drip-pan. Saved juices usually made into gravy. Oh, and almost always 'Yorkshire Pudding'.[p]Good luck w yours.

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I tried this Alton Brown method and it was the best roast I have ever had. The roast was evenly pink and moist throughout the whole piece. I think when cooked at higher temperature, the outside of the roast cooks faster thus the outer rim is brown and the inside remains pink.