Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky

Options
Newbie Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received my BGE (Large) and my BBQ Guru. I am planning on making some Beef Jerky and I have a "few" questions (:[p]Questions:
1 - I saw recipes that say to slice the meat across the grain while others say to slice with the grain. Any preferred method? length/width/thickness recommendations?
2 - The BBQ Guru website shows in one of their recipes a 175 degree temp for the BGE. Is that correct? Most other recipes talk about 140~150 degrees
3 - Any suggestions for rubs/marinade? I also saw someplace that one needs about 1 Tsp of salt per 1 lb of meat. Is that correct? How would one compensate to offset the soy sauce?
4 - I am planning on using Beef round (about 6lbs or so). a) Should I be using other cuts? how much final product would I end up with?
5 - any advice on the charcoal (amount, location, etc.)[p]Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I've got my first batch in the egg right now! I made a rack like eggor has and that he so graciously provided the drawings for.[p]1) I bought a whole buffalo top round, cut it into steaks then into strips. The cuts are cross-grain. I've never done this before, but it LOOKS right and I think will be more tender this way.[p]2) I'm doing mine about 250°. I'll give the link (below) to eggor's description of how he does his at this higher temp and the rationale. Basically, he cuts his thicker. I liked it that way - meatier jerky and NOT cardboard.[p]3) There's a sporting goods store nearby where I bought ready-made cure and seasoning. Here's a link to the company where you can buy it online, if nescessary - [p][p]Hi Mountain Jerky[/p][p][p]4) As I said, I'm using buffalo. It's amazingly lean. I started with 12 1/2 pounds and trimmed off 2 pounds. MOST of the trimmings can be used for something else. They just don't look like they'd make good jerky. I'm thinking of some stew or something similar. I dunno, this is my first time trimming out a whole top round and I might do even better next time.[p][p]5) I had a bunch of "Wicked Good" left in the egg from my last cook and am using it. Didn't even add any fresh, just stirred it up and lit.

[ul][li]Eggor's Jerky Method[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Update ...[p]Here's my first batch. While I cured all 10 1/2 pounds, I only put a portion on to smoke. I wanted to make SURE I had the methodology down. Everything tastes pretty darn good! Next batch, I think I'll pull off sooner though. This one is just a tad dry. As eggor said, you can always put it back in, but once it's overdone there's not much you can do. I REALLY like the thicker, heartier pieces of meat.[p]
    O1-PJerky.jpg

Newbie Posts: 33
    Options
    Pakak,[p]Looks great! My mouth is salivating as I look on.[p]I took your advice (and Eggor's) and fashioned myself a stainless steel rack (kind of like yours and Eggor's but less "fancy"). The meat goes on in a few...[p]Thanks for the picture!
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Newbie,
    so how is it going, kind of curious how you set up the rack?[p]scott