Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Colleen's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Lake Conroe Egger
Lake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife made this fabulous desert for us at the Texas Eggfest.

_MG_2063.jpg

She asked me to post the recipe - here ya go!

Cast Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients:

● 1/2 cup butter
● 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
● 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
● 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored,eyes removed, and sliced
● 1 pkg butter recipe cake mix
● 1/2 cup butter, melted
● 2/3 cup water
● 3 whole eggs

Directions:

Melt 1/2 c. butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet (a deep one is best). Add brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chopped pecans to mixture just before taking off fire.

Set skillet off heat and then add prepared pineapple. Slice pineapple into rings. (I chop a couple rings into pieces for added pineapple between the slices in bottom of skillet.) Arrange pineapple on top of brown sugar mixture. Maraschino cherries may be placed around at this time.

Prepare cake mix as directed on box. If there is juice from pineapple, that can be used instead of the water to make the 2/3 c. of liquid. Add remaining butter, eggs, and liquid to cake mix stir until thoroughly beaten. Pour on top of pineapple mixture.

Place in green egg indirect at 350 degrees. No lid on skillet. Check every 20 minutes and rotate to ensure even cooking.
Bake time is about 1 hour but check with wooden toothpick for doneness. Let cake cool for at least 10 minutes. Run knife around cake to loosen from sides of skillet. Invert onto serving plate.

Comments