Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Extender

Options
WilliamH
WilliamH Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RaisedGridHolder.jpg
<p />Just felt like making something. I don't know if this is ideal, but had fun anyway...[p]GridHolderWithGrid.jpg[p]GridHolderInEgg.jpg

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    WilliamH,
    Way cool!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    WilliamH, what TNW said!

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Coming from THE man himself, I'm speachless.

• WilliamH
    Options
    BamaBob,
    Thank-YOU! One benefit that isn't too obvious (and I'm not sure you would even want it), is that you can screw different length bolts into the nuts that are welded on the bottom of the support.

• Unknown
    Options
    WilliamH,[p]See my other posts about fabricating a drip pan holder. That is EXACTLY what mine looks like, but no legs. Rather the tabs that you have on the end go up 3" and then a tab to rest on the fire ring. I had welded across the bottom another piece to give support in the middle. Looks like you used the same iron stock I did. Works great.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    William,
    I wonder if you put little feet on the bottom of the bolts that extend radially outward, if you could make one that would hang from the fire ring upside down to put a drip pan on down low, or turn it over so the feet rest on the fire ring and you then have the raised grid holder. Double duty! Then just make them for small medium and large and you're in business!! A fortune awaits you!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WilliamH
    Options
    Larry82,
    Yours looks a lot more professional than what I did. I'm not too good at making a finished product. This is all stainless. I got some flat bar 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch. It's nice because you can put it in a vise and hammer a tight right angle bend in it easily.[p]There are nuts welded to the bottom of the flat bar. You could make "straps" (similar to yours) attached to a "nub" of a bolt and screw them into the nuts so this thing would hang down to use as a drip pan.

• WilliamH
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That's a great idea! But do you want it to hang that far down? If not, shorter bolts, with feet, can be interchanged with these. I'll see what I can do.

• Unknown
    Options
    WilliamH,[p]Actually, the picture I linked to is something you can buy for $29. The one I had made is exactly the same stock as yours. If I had a website to post pictures from, I would show it also, but, nevertheless, the stock is the same flat bar. Forunately, our shop cut and bend mine for me. They just heated up the spot at which to bend with a welding torch and bent. Presto, chango - drip pan holder!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    WilliamH,
    The ideal thing would be a one piece gizmo that went in one way for a lowered drip pan and turned over for the raised grid, don't you think? Multitasking!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Kinda like a "wire framed" plate setter?[p]

• WilliamH
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I just put some larger feet on it, the problem is the support is too wide to fit down in the narrow part of the egg. Yes, you can make the support smaller, but then it doesn't support the grid on its outside rim. That's a personal preference, but it seems the grid is quite stable when held on its outside rim.[p]I think some straps that hang down and out from its feet will hold a drip pan without too much stuff in the way. I'm hoping that this will keep me from having to remove a million things just to add charcoal before a cook.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    WilliamH,
    The Whiz was correct in saying that it would sell well. Keep us informed about whether you are going to produce them; and the cost.
    Hammer

• WilliamH
    Options
    These should be pretty cheap to make. People can put whatever length bolts they want in them. I'll keep you posted, thanks.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I reread your post again. The more I read it, the more sense it made; double duty grid extender and drip pan holder; you need to come up with a way to combine all the sizes of the BGE into one.
    You really made the Jack beat the Queen with this idea.
    Hammer