Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Shrimp

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Just finished putting up 12# of huge brown shrimp from the Miss Gulf Coast. The waters are now shut down for commercial shrimping and fishing for at least 10 days until the water is retested.

One of my office employees brought us 20# head-on (12ct) shrimp she bought off a boat Sunday. After I de-headed them I had 12# I froze for future use.

Depending on the outcome of this oil leak crisis, this may be the last shrimp we get for a long time. :angry::angry:

And I just LOVE shrimp ! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Sounds good Clark,

Native shrimp may get scarce but it will be a good excuse for them to import more from Central, South America, Asia . . . you name it, any where but the northern Gulf. Last I looked most of our grouper was already coming from Central America. I think the supplies will still be there, they will just come from a different source and they will have a good reason to raise prices again.

Gator

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    We don't buy Asian shrimp. We support our US shrimp fleet (even though most of them are now run by former Asians).

We also try to buy tilapia and other seafood from US sources, if we can be sure of the source.

It's getting harder to find US sourced seafood, though. :(

When these shrimp run out, we may be "hurting" for good shrimp for a while - at a fair price. :ohmy:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Misippi egger - I am from the north country and i love shrimp and sea food, but as you know we dont get it fresh up here! you in the seafood business?
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    No - medical and live almost 200 miles north of the Miss. Gulf Coast, but one of the girls in my office visits family on the coast often. She will go by the shrimp boat dock in the early am and buy shrimp from them before they sell them to the producers. Usually around $4-$4.50 per pound (12-16 ct, head-on). Same shrimp in the stores here are $7-8.00 per lb. !

I usually go fishing offshore Louisiana in mid September and we will buy shrimp from the boat on our way home after fishing - we usually buy 80-100# total (2 of us) at $3-4.00 per pound. We bring them home, de-head them, then freeze them in water in 1-2 qt plastic containers (1.5 -3# per container). Months later they taste VERY fresh when thawed. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    well i wish i could get fresh shrimp! I was in Florida the past winter for a week and had the best shrimp i have ever had at Johnnies hideaway, it was gulf coast shrimp and it was fresh. that was the first time i got to eat fresh shrimp and gulf coast shrimp. I wish i could get some up here. But i guess the trade off is that i get to hunt deer, pheasant and fish fresh water walleyes, crappies, and sunfish. how can a guy get some of that fresh stuff up here??
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :angry: don't get me started!!! used to work in the oilfield, and you HAD to have more than 1 contingency plan :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: