Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Repairing and old Egg

TomSWYLfanTomSWYLfan Posts: 2
edited 6:57AM in EggHead Forum
Hello,
I have been shopping around and trying to decide what to buy. It seems like the Egg is the choice!
Through my search, I came across a friend that had one he was selling. It needs the following: gasket, spring assisted band, firebox,
It comes with lump charcoal and a short small nest.
I can buy this and the new parts for less than half the price of a new one.
Is it a good deal? Or should I be concerned with needing to repair this one?
Any help is much appreciated.
Tom

Comments

• popagar0popagar0 Posts: 136
    I for 1 would not do it. go to an egg fest. get a demo. you will get a life time worry free. where are you from ? go to a fest. :woohoo:
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    The warranty you would get on a new Egg is an important consideration, and a real money saver if you should ever need it.

If your friend is the original owner of his, he will be able to get the firebox replaced before he sells it to you.

But let's say he is not and you have to buy a firebox..... One thing that I have never seen asked is:
    "when buying replacement items for an Egg, are the replacement items now covered under warranty to the purchaser?" Does anyone know about this??
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomSWYLfanTomSWYLfan Posts: 2
    Thank you.
    I am in Dallas Texas
    I didn't consider the warranty issue.
    His father is the original owner. If I move forward with him, I will definitely have him get the items that warranty will cover.
    A Demo sounds great! Any place other than a Fest to pick one up?
  • popagar0popagar0 Posts: 136
    click on the eggfest central at the top of this page :woohoo: hope you get your egg!!
  • Smut-buttSmut-butt Posts: 142
    This may be a clay egg; if so, that could be a problem if you intend to cook at nuke temps. A clay egg is limited to around 300 degrees to be safe.
    I just gave my old clay egg away; survived being flooded in Hurricane Ivan and stiil worked after drying out.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    thirdeye wrote:
    One thing that I have never seen asked is:
    "when buying replacement items for an Egg, are the replacement items now covered under warranty to the purchaser?" Does anyone know about this??

Then answer is yes. All ceramic parts purchased come with the lifetime warranty.
  • phshonphshon Posts: 2
    I have a damaged egg that I have repaired. I now need to paint the outer surface of the egg to restore the original look. What kind of a paint will give me that smooth, original look?