Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to keep smoke for many hours?

2»

Comments

• popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    so if the smoke ring stops at 140 what if you take it off let cool put it back on will you get more deeper smoke ring??
  • i don't know. maybe. easier to smoke at a temp below 140 than it would be to take the meat off precisely when you'd need to, cool it, put it back on... etc.

but then, if you are smoking below 140 you often add nitrites anyway, whether by curing or mixing it into ground meat. and that would give you the pink just by virtue of that.
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    thank you strip i may just try it hope it will be safe to eat :ohmy:
  • 'Q Bruddah wrote:
    Theophan--Welcome to the forum and this unique club/family. This is the closest to a virtual cooking school as you can get without paying actual money. All the advice is free but some of it is priceless. To get more out of your egg than you ever imagined stay close to this forum and practice, practice, practice...

MANY thanks to you and to all who have responded so generously and helpfully! I'm in awe! :)

I have some experimenting and much learning to do, but my wife and I loved the two things I've cooked so far, despite my lack of expertise. I am looking forward to more!

Thanks again,

Theo
  • Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    ... Regarding lifting the platesetter out when it's hot, alot of us use high temperature gloves to lift it out. I use the silicone ones that are safe to 700 degrees, ...

Many thanks! I am hoping, based on other responses, that I will be happier with the amount of smoke trying some of these other approaches, and that I won't need to consider taking out the plate setter, but I'll look into those gloves, just in case. I was reading somewhere online today someone saying that a pork butt smoked for 19 hours or so shouldn't be opened even once to check the temperature, much less take out the plate setter to add more wood. I don't know the pros and cons. But I'm looking forward to experimenting, and I'll definitely look into those gloves.

Thanks again!

Theo
  • there's a difference between opening the dome every five minutes out of curiosity (which is what i was tempted to do when o first got the egg), and opening it once or twice to check temps or stir the lump.

there's a saying that gets some air time: "if you are lookin, you ain't cookin"

to some extent, it's true. opening the lid on a lo-and-slo does a couple things. it cools the thermometer off, making a new user think the fire is dropping or that the egg is cooling off. and it allows a comparatively massive gulp of fresh air to the fire, which (when you shut the lid again) could allow the fire to actually grow.

as far as the egg goes, it's sort of a point of pride for some folks here that you do not need to open the dome at all during a lo-and-slo, even when they stretch (for some reason) past 24 hours or more. and so they don't.

but it isn't anything to worry about, and it won't affect things at all to do it if you open it once or twice. just don't open and close it like you are used to doing with your gasser, checking every five minutes. and don't get sucked into chasing temps simply because the thermometer cools off when you open the dome.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Looks like you've gotten your question answered (and then some)...I just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and that I think you have an intriguing forum handle.
    Hope you'll register!