Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Egg or not to Egg

Options
Charro
Charro Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know some people from the South who have Big Green Eggs and just love them, but I'm from the Cold Northern country... I've love to get an egg, but I'm concerned about how it will weather the cold winters. Could I leave it outside in the snow and ice, or do I need to lug the thing in and out a couple times a year (I hear they're very heavy). Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Charro,[p]I'm sure the canadian and northern contingent will chime in on this one but here's one from the midwest. I leave mine out all year, I do have a cover for it though. Others I know leave them out uncovered as well. I've smoked a 16 hour pork butt overnight when the temperature that evening was 6 degrees. Thats pretty cold for us here but the temp in that egg was right a 225 where I left it when I went to bed. They are heavy, my medium is about 100 pounds. I have it in a nest and I move it very easily around the back yard IF I need to. Its pretty stationary though. Others build tables for thiers that look and work great. The egg truly is a year round cooker, others will attest to this as well. Don't let the weather concern you at all in your purchase decision. The egg can handle any temps you can throw at it.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Charro,[p]By the way, unless you've moved, I'd hardly call Mississippi the "cold northern country" (unless of course you're originally from TAHITI. If thats the case, dont worry about a thing, it can handle the cold Mississippi winters without a problem. hehehe[p]Troy
  • Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    Charro, I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and have owned my BGE for about 5 years. I use it year-round, and have had great success with it. I keep mine outside, on my deck. I built a table for it, using BGE's plans(this keeps it up off the ground), and keep it covered with a plastic tarp when I'm not using it. I've used it in temperatures below zero Farenheit, and have had no problems other than a "weeping" of a dark liquid(condensed smoke???) through the lower draft door. Go for it!!!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Charro,
    A month or two ago we had the same question! Leave it outside. Frozen Chosen in Alaska, and many Canadian eggers who are part of the forum, expose their eggs to most harsh environments....yet they Q on. My eggs were cooking non stop thru the Virginia winter (-5 is about as cold as it gets)[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Charro,[p]I use my BGE in any kind of weather. I once moved it into my shed when there were flood warnings, but usually it stays in my backyard.[p]If you own an Egg, there will be no such thing as "barbecue season" - you'll be barbecuing and girlling (ane maybe even baking) all year round). I also used my water smoker year round, but the Egg makes it much easier.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    snowegg2.jpg
    <p />Charro,[p]Don't let cold bother you.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Charro,
    Again without checking the other posts, the BGE is a 4 season cooker, from the frozen ice of the Yukon (Frozen Chosens turf) to the thick iced lakes of Ontario (Earls turf) down thru Michigan (Mac, JCA, and others turf) thru Minnesota, (Patrick already posted :-)) and here in Iowa, my turf, we cook with em alla time.
    Have fun...C~W[p]

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Options
    Charro, before I read any other replys,,, I should tell you to head south.. We definately enjoy our BGE's more than the snowbirds. NAHHH! Them yankeys cook like chefs possessed... I have learned much from them and plan to learn more.. Of course,, they won't listen to me cause they assume that we down here are slower than them cause we talk slower than them, listen slower than them,, and we don't have subways... But they still have my attention.. AND,, several of them(Smoking Todd, Cornfed, Dr. Chicken, CharWoody, and my personal guru's Cat, MollyShark, and J Appledog) are even regular people like us.. [p]The Egg is perfect for all climates and civilizations........

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]they also work well in extreme heat (Phoenix AZ)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BBQ-BoB,
    We been busting some record highs right here in C-Iowa...Strange weather fronts thru here, especially in May when we have had snow storms in the past. Makes BBQ fun tho when not knee deep in snow. Fun even then, but tempered. :-)
    Cheers..C~W