Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken Lasagne

Options
irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few months ago the turkey expert, Max, posted about doing a turducken lasagne, which I thought was a brilliant idea, and I am now getting my head around cooking this for the first time.
Has anybody tried this idea since, or got any experience or thoughts to add to Max's excellent description.
All thoughts will be greatfully received, carefully ruminated over, and a few may even be acted on. (I'm afraid I am not the best for following recipes, I like to adapt as I go along. LOL)
Greetings from Ireland, Roger

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Roger I just looked and cannot find Turducken Lasagne on the search forum.
    It sure sounds good :)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• irishrog
    Options
    Hi Mickey,
    I cant find the post either, but I remember the details well enough to cook the dish. I was hoping that someone else might have tried the origional, and have some thoughts on doing the dish.
    I remember Max cooked the dish in a roasting dish, set inside a second dish. The inner dish had holes punched to allow the fats to seep out leaving a fat free lasagne.
    The turducken was layers of turkey thigh, corn bread stuffing,chicken, a second layer of stuffing, and the ducks on top. As the dish cooked the juices and flavours from the duck seeped down through the chicken and turkey, and out the holes in the bottom of the dish. Altogether a very clever idea.
    Max, if you are up, or on line you might fill in the gaps.
  • irishrog
    Options
    Richard,
    Thanks a million for the link.
    I am surprised that nobody has chipped in to say they have tried cooking this. I think it is one of the great inventions and I will be cooking it for a competition on the first Saturday in May.
    http://www.festivalslimerick.com/
    If anybody is visiting Ireland that weekend you could do worse than come to Limerick, the atmosphere and fun will be exceptional.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    roger,

i'm going to be making it again for the waldorf eggfest. ..if you can get through the ash cloud, come on over to this side of the pond, LOL....one other thing, make sure you make stock with the duck carcass and some turkey bones and use it to make madmax gravy for the finished lasagna!! . ...good luck, let me know how it turns out. . ..
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi Max,
    I love to make gravy with real stock, and there is great flavour in duck bones, so I will do that.
    When making stock, I break the bones in half with a meat hammer, and this releases the marrow inside the bones, which helps add depth of flavour. I do this with turkey, chicken and lamb bones also.
    If making beef stock, I get a few slices of marrow bone from the butcher, (he slices the thigh bone or shin bone on the band saw in the shop), because I dont have the machine at home to do this. I roast the bones in the Egg for an hour before making the stock, and I also carmelise the onions in the stock pan before I add the bones, vegetables, wine and water when making the stock. Anything to add depth of flavour to the stock.
    As for the ash cloud, it is drifting away, and all the airlines are back flying full schedules today. If we get another shift in wind direction that could change again, but for now we are up and away.
    Will you change anything from your origional method of cooking the lasagne, or are you happy that it is as good as it could be.
    Greetings from Ireland, where we can see the sun again, Roger
  • Max,
    Thank you so much for cooking your famous tuducken on my new egg at Waldorf! Loved the nibble I had of it! Could you please direct me to the recipe you said I could find under Epic meals...having a hard time finding it, but i want to make it a yearly birthday dinner for my new egg! :laugh: Could you post it for me or point me in the direction of it on BGE site? Please!
    Thank you for taking good care on my virgin egg saturday!
    Smokin' Green Egg & Ham
    aka:Toni & Robin