Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover for new EGG

Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready todive into a large BGE. Do I need a cover. I heard the slide door tends to rust after some period of time. Are you guys seeing this problem

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Kyle,[p]If you have a good memory and can remember to put the cover on after the egg cools down so it doesn't blow around the yard, its probably best to use one. I don't use one and the vent track has some rust where the two metals rub and scratch away the paint, but its not a problem.[p]Tim -- go for it
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Kyle,
    If you just purchased your egg you should have the updated stainless steel parts on it. No rust ever. If you have the steel door, it can be upgraded to the new style. Is your unit going to sit out in the elements? I park mine under a roof overhang and chose not to go with the big cover. Too much hassel, on and off and on and off. Then ya got the cover lay'n around in a heap.[p]Have fun. I know you will![p]Nu-Guy

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Nu-Guy,
    haven't bought the egg yet. It will be on deck exposed to the elements. I just called the dealer they told me the egg doesn't have a S.S. slide but I can by the upgrade. Should it be included or exchanged free now.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    kyle,[p]Spring for the extra upgraded vent if you can but you can always add it in 3-5 years when the original gets rusty. If you have a budget for goodies - make the vent one of the ones you get last since you don't need stainless unless your near salty water. JMHO[p]I have some other eggcessories on my web site under the MSC pictures.[p]Tim[p]
    [ul][li]--Tim's BGE cookbook etc --[/ul]
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Kyle,[p]A little WD-40 in the slide track periodically keeps it operating smoothly (while the Egg is cool, of course!). It is probably more critical to keep the ash out of the track than rain water if you are worrying about corrosion. That said, I keep my Egg covered, but as Tim mentioned, it spends many nights in the air when I forget to cover it after it cools off. Mine is 2.5 years old, and holding up fine.[p]Brant
  • Kyle, for about $8, you can buy a cylindrical cover, Char Broil #4184835. They are available at Sears, Home Base, Home Depot, etc.