Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

one bad bird

GregC
GregC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday night we had some friends over for dinner, well I had bragged since gettng my BGE about how everything was so tender and juicy. The chicken I smoked was just like the other 3 or 4 I'd cooked on the EGG. It turned out to be one of the toughest birds we'd ever "tried" to eat. Not really sure what happened as I prepared it just as before. I covered it with EVOO and a dry rub and let it set in the fridge fro several hours. Cooked it at 350 deg. indirect heat til the breast was 180. Not really sure what happened we just chalked it up to a "bad bird". Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'll just check this off to a learning experience.

GregC
B)

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Sounds like over cooking. I usually pull breasts @ 155 and they'll rise another 5 degrees while resting.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    You cooked it too long. I've done it and it was a tough bird too.

I usually cook it until the breast is about 160, or the thigh is about 180. Pull it, cover it loosely with foil for 10-15 mins and then carve it. It'll keep cooking a bit under the foil.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    GregC, 180° is where I want my leg quarters to be and 160° is where the breast is done and juicy. On my last spatchcock cook I had a 4 pound bird grilling high in the dome on a 350° direct cook. When I finally got around to checking it at least 90 min's had passed and my leg quarters were 200° and my breast meat was over 200° :blush: . Need less to say my breast meat was on the grainy side but my leg quarters were fantastic and the skin was really good and crispy. So, even mistakes are fun to eat. Tim
  • 180 in the breast is the problem right there....
    i take it off at 155-160, and it'll cruise to 165

180 in the breast on the egg is 190 on the plate. very likely to be overdone and dry.
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Thanks for the replys, it's kind of funny this one truned out like this when the first ones cooked to the same temps. Guess I got lucky on those. I'll take your advise on the next one and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
    GregC