Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often to replace parts if we buy BGE?

Options
Buckeye
Buckeye Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are considering getting a BGE for the first time. As compared to a gas grill (replace parts are needed often and are expensive), what has been your experiences with BGE? Do you have to replace parts and how often?

Thank you!!

Buckeye

B)

Comments

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Other than gasket replacement, nothing. Many recommend replacing the factory model with a high temp alternative. Many of us are faced with that reality early on, as the felt gasket is often nuked in the first few (high temp) cooks. Repalcement, however, is not particularly expensive. A pain the @ss, yes, but not expensive.

Truthfully, it is a small price to pay, though, for the terrific food you'll be enjoying. Good luck.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    If you buy from an authorized dealer, the BGE comes with a lifetime warranty. The BGE has some expense up front, but you shouldn't have to be replacing parts.

The gaskets wear out or burn up from time to time and they can either be replaced under warranty, or it's a $20 to $30 part.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • EggSport
    EggSport Posts: 33
    Options
    5 years with Large BGE and nothing needed. Have done many loaves artisan bread and many pizzas (all at high temps). Thick steaks at very high temps (beef and Ahi tuna). Many low-n-slo ... brisket, shoulder/butt, ribs, turkey. Gasket is flat, slight smoke leaks in spots, but no need to replace yet.
    Did add SS raised grid setup and extra grates.

OTH, just spent over $100. for burner & parts for Broilmaster gasser.

Tom B (EggSport)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Buckeye, On the 11 month old large egg I purchased new from an authorized dealer I replaced the fire box that was broke but, still usable. I got a new one free of charge. My cast iron fire grate was broke and replaced free of charge as well. Both under the life time warranty. Also, my cast iron food grate was broke and replaced free of charge while it was still under a one year warranty. Tim
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Going on 6 years only the firebox covered under warranty, even the gasket is fine.
  • LESAGEMIKE
    LESAGEMIKE Posts: 51
    Options
    Its really not common to replace anything other than the gasket. The real expense is buying lots of accessories that make cooking even more fun!! B)
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    i've had 3 egggs for an average of 3 years each. so far i"ve replaced one firebox under warrenty and one gasket on each from too many 700 F pizza cooks. Now we won't talk about how many accessories I've bought.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    The gasket is the only thing I've had a problem with. We have 7 eggs and have only lost one gasket, due to user error. Stop considereing getting an egg and go get one. You'll never regret it. They're the best!! :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    They have a lifetime warranty, your firebox is going to crack. Mine has been cracked for over 10 years, really is no biggie.
    ILYMTYEK..
    Mike
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hey Buckeye,
    Where in Ohio?
    Life time warranty. Just don't let it fall over or drop the ceramic pieces..Like others I've only replaced the gasket and probably didn't need to do that at that time.
    You will be amazed at the food that comes off the egg.
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    My new large Egg has a firebox with a split already molded in, presumably to mitigate future cracking.
    Go for it and then watch for a local Eggfest to start learning hands-on from fellow Eggheads.

John
    Hutto, TX
  • ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    I've had problems with the internals cracking. I have a cracked firebox and fire ring but the will be covered under warranty. They have been really good to work with. Even with the problems I have had I would not go back. I had a derby party yesterday and two of my friends are going to buy one. I cooked pulled pork, srirachi wings and abt's and all were a hit. The wings and abt's never even made it into the house.
  • Buckeye
    Buckeye Posts: 4
    Options
    Columbus. Thank you for responding to my post!