Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help ASAP Please: Grilled Bananas & Ice Cream recipe

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I remember awhile back when I believe it was Naked Whiz posted a recipe about 6 months or less ago to grill Bananas coated in Cinnamon and something else and sliced and served over Ice Cream. If anybody knows this recipe or if it was Naked Whiz and your reading this please post ASAP. I have Bananas/Ice Cream and several excited kids but I don't know what to do and I can't find recipe.[p]Thanks,
Kenny

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]Kids, huh? Well, that puts a different spin on things. Now... I've never actually done this, but...[p]I'd sprinkle the bananas (cut in 4, lengthwise first and the crosswise) with cinnamon sugar. Lay a griddle on the Egg and crank it to around 450 degrees. Lay the bananas on, cut-side down, just till the sugar starts to melt and caramelize. Then flip to cook the "round" side. When the sugar has melted and is getting gooey, plop the bananas around a dish of ice cream.[p]HTH
    Ken[p](If you were serving adults, I'd spray or brush the nanners with dark rum too...)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    bananas%20on%20icecream.JPG
    <p />PackerFan,[p]Here's the ones I did at the Texas Eggfest, except I forgot to bring the icecream!! The bananas still went pretty fast, though. Anyway, this is a super-simplified version of the Bananas Balinese that I believe you can find in the recipe section or in the Bill Wise cookbook on the Naked Whiz's site. [p]I just use butter, turbinado sugar, and cinnamon on the bananas, grill until soft, then dice up and mix into a warm compote type mixture, and spoon on the icecream. It helps to serve the bowls full of icecream and put the bowls back in the freezer.[p]TRex

[ul][li]Grilled bananas over icecream[/ul]
  • PackerFan
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks for the quick reply. My wife and I are eating some too. All I have is spiced Rum. Will this work? When you said sugar are you referring to Brown or White Sugar?[p]Thanks,
    Kenny

• PackerFan
    Options
    TRex,[p]Thanks TRex. That's it. I had my names wrong. I had read this post and seen this pick once before. I used your method of egging steaks for the 20th time in 4 months tonight. I remembered seeing a post where you didn't want to waste a hot fire and grilled Bananas and Ice Cream. My wife went off to the store and came home with Bananas. The light came on in my head and it is time to grill them. Thanks for the quick response. This forum will make a cook out of anyone. Everyone out there is so helpful. [p]Thanks a million.[p]Kenny

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]If you have brown sugar, I'd use that. Otherwise white will be fine.[p]I've never had spiced rum - don't see why it wouldn't work too. Hey, like Julia Child said, "Once you put it in front of them, they'll think that's how you meant for it to be."[p]Ken
  • PackerFan
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Good point. It would be kind of nice if the kids crashed after desert anyway. HA HA. [p]Kenny
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]Forget everything I said below. TRex's Bananas Balinese have put my imagination way back in the shade.[p]Hey, TRex, it's too late tonight, but I just put nanners on tomorrow's shopping list. Thanks![p]Ken
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Something like "You must be this many years old (your choice how many fingers to hold up) before you can have dessert". LOL[p]Ken

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]Happy to help. This forum has certainly taught me a great deal about cooking as well - I love it.[p]I have to watch myself with this little treat - I think if I had bananas and icecream in the house I'd be doing these on the Mini almost every night.[p]TRex
  • RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    PackerFan,[p]Here's another recipe that I've tried. I think I seen it on the Food Network. Enjoy.[p]RayS[p]Bananas Grilled In Their Peels With A Honey-Rum Glaze
    (Yield: 4 servings)[p]2 tablespoons dark rum
    2 tablespoons honey
    4 bananas, peel on, sliced lengthwise
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 pint chocolate ice cream, or frozen yogurt[p]In a bowl, blend rum, honey and cinnamon. Reserve.[p]Over direct medium heat, grill bananas, cut side down for 3 minutes, or[p]until bananas develop visible grill marks.[p]Turn bananas and brush with honey-rum mixture. Continue grilling, with lid[p]down, for 5 minutes, or until bananas are cooked throughout.[p]Remove and immediately. Serve with ice cream.

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    PackerFan,
    This is not quite bananas and cinnamon, but it is really good over vanilla bean ice cream.[p]Melt brown sugar and butter in a frying pan. Saute bananas, cut in half and lengthwize. Quickly pour some Kaluha (Coffee liquor) and flambe, then add Platano (Banana liquor) and flame, and finish with some brandy and flambe. Best to use firm bananas and do not cook for very long or they become too soft.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Just for the record, here is the Eggfest version that was introduced to world of BGE by Bambi.
    R&J

[ul][li]Bambi’s BAKED BANANAS BALINESE[/ul]