Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal and moisture

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading and trying to get a handle on using my egg to the best of its abilities - I have a lot to learn :) Does moisture affect the charcoal? Am currently using lump from BGE.[p]I have been storing my charcoal in the bag outside next to my egg on the porch. It is getting to be pretty humid now, often the bag top comes undone and is open to the air. Can this be a problem? How do you store your charcoal? Along with that how do you store your smoking woods?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    LarryE,[p]Moisture has a BIG effect on lump, as it would on any material that burns. I have left charcoal outside on occasion and find that if and when the bag gets wet (rain, humidity oe whatever), the lump won't start or burn well. I now store it in the garage in a large tupper-ware like container.[p]Smokey
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    LarryE,
    I leave all my charcoal in open bags in my garage with no problem. I'm in NC, so it is plenty humid. I wouldn't let the charcoal get wet, as in rained upon, but I don't think humidity is a concern. I've read that charcoal is not hygroscopic, but it wasn't an authoritative source. Perhaps someone will google up something...
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    LarryE, my charcoal is stored in a wet dirt basement that continuosly wicks water from the lake.my house is 4 feet from the waters edge and ive even had the lump dissapear as rhe morning fog rolls in engulfing my house up to the second floor. the lump lights slower, but i have not noticed any problems once the fire is established. any moisture in the lump quickly burns off. i buy by the pallet, and keep a few bags outside near the egg in a covered barrel.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I did find this:[p]Water is the main adulterant found in charcoal. Good quality charcoal will normally have a moisture content of 5-10%. More than 10% is excessive and indicates rain wetting or adulteration to increase weight. [p]I also found that sodium nitrate is highly hygroscopic. Sodium nitrate is one of the ingredients in Kingsford, so it might be more of a problem with Kingsford than with lump.[p]TNW[p]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I keep mine outside (next to the Egg on my deck) in a big plastic tub. It's humid here, and the tub gets rained on a lot, but the lump stays dry.
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    LarryE,
    Moisture will take heat to remove so wet lump will supress your temperatures untill it dries ( i use wet as a relative term). that said I store mine in a rubbermaid trash can with a snap on lid, directly in the rain and humidity of the florida coastal region of the panhandle. Fairly sure that in the mornings the moisture in the can is high, but after all day in the fl sun it is prolly rather dry.
    i have kept lump for 4 months+ this way (work) and it still worked for me.
    smoking wood is kept in its own bag on top of the lump in the same can.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    LarryE, I keep mine in basement. Too much fog rolling in here in Maine. You can get soaked and not even by rain. Keep it dry and you won't be swearing at your egg when it doesn't light.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]" I've read that charcoal is not hygroscopic, but it wasn't an authoritative source."[p]What - I said it and that should be all you need. Not an authritive source.......................... hmmmmmmmmmmm[p][p]Tim

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim M,
    You are right, it was you. I stand by my statement though. You may be right, but not necessarily authoritative. :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    LarryE,[p]We keep ours outside next to the eggs in a large plastic rubbermaid container that has a lid. It holds 40lbs of lump and we've never had any end up wet (unless I open the box to get some while it's raining...). We've been doing this for a couple of years now....[p]We got our box at Lowes or Home Depot. Maybe 10 bucks?[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]