Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new table

Options
kricks
kricks Posts: 244
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
First of all, thanks to everyone who publishes table pics. I learned a little from all of them. This started out as a Naked Whiz table but rapidly got out of hand. Enjoy!

pic018.jpg
pic034.jpg
pic039.jpg
pic042.jpg
pic099.jpg
pic100.jpg
pic102.jpg
pic104.jpg

Comments

• Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    That's a mighty fine looking table!! Looks like it just fit into that spot on your patio. Love the door handles.. Nice job.
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Options
    Very nice table.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Great work. Very cool door handels
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Good looking table. What kind of wood did you use? I noticed it was tongue and groove, great idea.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • kricks
    Options
    It is 100% cypress including the inside frame and 1x4 Egg support structure. It is tongue and groove and is waterproof as well as limiting any gunk that results from overzealous Egging!. I can store everything inside and it doesn't get wet. The granite top sits on hardiboard and is siliconed in. All joints were glued with waterproof glue (TitebondIII).
  • Driving Hamster
    Options
    Very nice table. These were almost like time lapsed photography! I think the egg green contrasts nicely with your stain choice. The door handles are cool too.

You might want to be careful egg'ing in the rain since your feet might get soaked from that downspout! What we do for good BBQ.
    Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Where did you get those handles...carve them?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • kricks
    Options
    We live just a few miles from the mother ship and attended a cooking class (put on by Bobby-Q) over the holidays. They gave out BGE Christmas ornaments to all that were there. I needed some handles and the idea just hit me to use those. I got a couple of wooden handles to use as the base. Then I used my belt sander to grind out a base for the ornaments. A little epoxy and viola!
  • CRF450808
    CRF450808 Posts: 34
    Options
    Wow..beautiful piece of work! Please tell me what kind of stain you used, I love how it makes the grain pop..Thanks for the pics!
  • kricks
    Options
    Thank you for the complement!

It is actually the second time I finished the table. The first time, around Thanksgiving, I messed up the stain trying to get it dark like that. I made the mistake of too much stain and leaving it on. Looked lousy. So as soon as the weather perked up, I sanded the entire thing down and redid it. A couple of things I learned. The first time I sanded it too smooth and the stain did not take. I hit it this time with 80 grit on the belt sander and 60 grit on the finish sander. That opened up the pores and things worked very nicely. You can also wipe the wood down with a wet rag prior to staining and that will open up the pores as well. Let it dry before you stain though. To your original question. I used Cabot Jarrah Brown stain. One coat only. It really popped when I put the finish on. For that I used 3 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane (satin). I waited a day between all coats. I very lightly sanded between finish coats with 220 grit and then for the last coat I used steel wool.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    looks like that table should be indoors it looks so nice :cheer:
  • El Patron
    El Patron Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow, super clean work. That baby should be garage kept!
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    where did you get those handles...love'em
  • kricks
    Options
    I got them as door prizes at the BGE headquarters here is Atlanta (Tucker actually). They put on cooking classes and these were given as Christmas ornaments. I was looking for handles and these fit the bill very well. They are remarkably solid.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Kricks,

Great set-up. A cover will help keep it looking sweet.

Also, get those little green ceramic feet under the egg. One in back (under the hinge) and the other two spaced equally around the front. You want to stop the heat transfer from the egg to the paver and into the wood. The airspace will keep the wood from reaching scorching temps. ;)