Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Beef help

Options
twovkay
twovkay Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any advice on making pit beef? I'm looking for recipes or any help. I had Chap's Pit Beef a few months ago and am dying to try making my own, since Chap's is 1 1/2 hours away.

Thanks!

Comments

• JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    Go to search forum, type in pit beef thier is all kinds of help there, hth :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wess b has a great tutorial on pit beef

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/Pit_beef.htm

my wife came home one time and said here is some beef... it was eye round someone told me to make pit beef with it

101_0353.jpg

i have never even been close to somewhere to order pit beef.... but if it is anything like that eye round was 1.5 hours don't sound bad..

i have made it several times and everyone loves it!!

here is my advice if you have a eye round

1 use the same temp wess uses. 15 min then turn

2 continue till the whole thing is dark (almost black on the outside)

3 by the time you darken the whole outside start taking temps.. pull around 120 ish

4 rest in the fridge

5 slice on a slicer.... ie no knives electric or otherwise :pinch:

6 go as thin as possible

7 have horseradish and a sweet bbq sauce on the side

8 Buy your rolls from the deli not the bread isle

i hope this helps

ps have pickels also B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it has been a while since i have seen you posting

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Here's one I did a couple of years ago. Bourbon marinade and a bourbon BBQ sauce.

Marinated overnight, rubbed with kosher salt and black pepper, cooked indirect at 250 for 45 minutes over hickory to give it some smoke flavor, then upped the temp to 325, and roasted until the internal temp hit 115. Pulled, rested for 15 minutes, sliced thin, and served on rolls with some bourbon BBQ sauce. Came out really juicy, much to the Dog's delight...

Details on the cook and recipe on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/09/recipe-bourbo-1.html

Beef%204.jpg

Yogi%20and%20drippings.jpg

Enjoy!

-John
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I just did my first pit beef a few months ago, and have done another one since. Should have never waited so long.
    I like to make sort of a "relish" for lack of better description. Roughly cut onions, green bell, a hot chili or two, along with some beef broth and a touch of vinegar. Dont cook too long, leaving some firmness to everything. I do it on stovetop in a small D.O. and put in on the beef sandwhich at room temp or slightly warner. Heaven.
  • twovkay
    Options
    Bente,

Thanks for the info. Just brought a bottom round roast, I hope that works.
  • twovkay
    Options
    John,

Thanks for the info. Looks great! Can't wait to try.