Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-Iterate Thermometer Calibration

Options
ChargerGuy
ChargerGuy Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this is all over the Post but i think the new Eggers (myself included)need to check their Dome thermometer. I checked mine today and it was 70 degrees low. Thats alot in my book.

Comments

• grillking
    grillking Posts: 16
    Options
    How did you calibrate it
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    Mine was 45 degrees low. You calibrate it by sticking the probe in boiling water 212* and adjusting the nut on the back to read 212.
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    grillking,
    Just in case i also had a known good digital thermometers to compare it to. So both Dome thermo and digital to check it against.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Mine read 50* low, so I was running it 50* hotter than I should have.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    grillking,

I saw you didn't get a response to your question. What I do is take the gauge out and put the clip on it and clip to the side of a pot of gently boiling water with the probe immersed at least an inch. It should read 212 or there abouts. If it doesn't with an oven mitt, hold the indicator and put a wrench on the backing nut. If it reads high turn the gauge clockwise, counter-clockwise if low. (I'm pretty sure that's right you will know if it isn't) Get it so it reads around 212* It isn't critical but sometimes they are way out as stated here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    And if you're REALLY anal about it, there are a couple of boiling temp calculators that tell you what it should be for your altitude above sea level. Here's one...

http://www.thermoworks.com/software/bpcalc.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Buckeye Mac
    Options
    We just purchased our Big Egg and did not receive the thermometer calibration instructions. Would someone kindly let me know how to calibrate the thermometer...or direct me to online instructions. Thanks!