Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried my hand at the old stuffed pork last night.

Pounded thin, topped with TJ's eggplant spread, mushrooms, almonds, dried apples, balsamic vinegar dressing, spinach and mozzarella.
DSC_3462.jpg

Clumsily rolled up
DSC_3463.jpg

Ready to serve
DSC_3466.jpg

I let it go to 155, and it was a bit dry, but a fun cook and good results overall. Any advice for future attempts?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Pull at 145, I wrap mine in bacon. Nice looking roast.

Mike
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Looks great. Most around these parts will get that pork off at 135-138 and let it rest under foil. Which will allow it to continue and cook a bit more(3-7 degrees) as well as redistribute the juices back into the meat.
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    Do you probe that in the center where the filling is? Are those direct or indirect?
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Whacky,

For the stuffed loin or t-loin, you want to know the MEAT temp. If your using a thermapen, you'll see the difference in temps as you probe through.

This is another cook that can go either way. Direct or indirect. Or both if you want to give it a sear at the end to add some color.
  • berrygood
    Options
    WhackMaster719 wrote:
    Do you probe that in the center where the filling is? Are those direct or indirect?
    I should have mentioned that I cooked at 375, direct, raised grid. Love that char.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Nice looking cook berrygood :)
    You mention "clumsily rolled up"...Man yours is looking good!
    You should have seen the one we did at the Frozen Fest. We didn't have any string, so we used skewers. Steve was scared I was going to "lance" :ohmy: his hands!
    BTW, I agree with Adam about pulling earlier. I've started doing that and it really makes a difference in tenderness!
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Jerry,

Not pretty :laugh:
    24994aae.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hahahahaha. It was that or your boot laces if I remember clearly...not

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Looks great. Good pics too.
  • berrygood
    Options
    Mr. & Mrs Potatohead wrote:
    Nice looking cook berrygood :)
    You mention "clumsily rolled up"...Man yours is looking good!
    You should have seen the one we did at the Frozen Fest. We didn't have any string, so we used skewers. Steve was scared I was going to "lance" :ohmy: his hands!
    LOL, great story. Actually, my assistant last night was my beautiful but distracted 3-year-old, so I feel lucky that it was string and not skewers.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jerry,

I honestly don't think I would have noticed at the time. Do you remember what was in it? I know there was smoked salmon and pheasant Newburgh. It tasted darned good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Steve:
    You may not have noticed the skewer going through your hand, but you would have been bleeding pretty good!
    As for me Re: Total recall...NO!
    I do, however, have some recall, even if not total. And as you have said....That was one really great roulade.
    I know we didn't use any Newberg (I think that was gone at breakfast) but I did use up all the remaining left-overs from all of the earlier Saturday cooks.
    For sure those left-overs were; smoked salmon, Satay (pork and chicken), grilled / skewered pheasant and pineapple.
    Moving forward from there, I know I chopped and crushed a little onion and garlic and I am also 100% sure of provolone, LaBamba and my Green Picante'.
    But now...Here is where I get a bit cloudy....Seems we were looking for cream or ricotta cheese and spinach. Don't know if we ever found any, or if it went into the roll.
    I seriously think not...But...That's what happens when you discover that whiskey isn't just for breakfast anymore and it can be enjoyed as an "all day" thing :) !
    OTOH, once it was together (had to be careful, because it was kind of a porcupine with all the skewers) I rubbed it down with my Santa Fe blend dry rub and it went on with Cherry smoke-wood.
    It really was fantastic, and most likely will NEVER be duplicated....Mostly because neither you nor I really remember 100% how the hell we did it, and we're the ones that did it :whistle: .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Looks great..Try not to overcook it next time and maybe it won't get too dry.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Jerry n Steve,

I was close by and don't have a clue what went in it. :ermm:

This may or may not help you guys. :whistle:

Oh, and that't my ci skillet he's pounding the pork with. I remember saying 'here try this" :laugh:
    5e531add.jpg
    70850dad.jpg

Sounds like we should have gone to Texas and gotten things rolling :woohoo: