Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wheres the mint julip recipes

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ive got my woodruffs reserve ready and picked up a bottle of grande absente absinthe to try, 138 proof :woohoo:
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    General Buckner’s Mint Julep
    (Traditional Recipe)
    General Buckner's directions for the "Mint Julep the quintessence of gentlemanly beverages" A Mint Julep is not the product of a formula it is a ceremony and must be performed by a gentleman possessing a true sense of the artistic, a deep reverence for the ingredients and a proper appreciation of the occasion. It is a rite that must not be entrusted to a novice, a statistician nor a Yankee. It is a heritage of the South, an emblem of hospitality and a vehicle in which noble minds can travel together upon the flowerstrewn paths of happy and congenial thought.
    So far as the mere mechanics of the operation are concerned, the procedure, stripped of its ceremonial embellishments, can be described as follows: Go to a spring where cool, crystal-clear water bubbles from under a bank of dew-washed ferns. In a consecrated vessel dip up a little water at the source. Follow the stream through its banks of green moss and wild flowers until it broadens and trickles through beds of mint growing in aromatic profusion and waving softly in the spring breeze. Gather the sweetest and tenderest shoots and gently carry them home. Go to the sideboard and select a decanter of Maker's Mark bourbon, distilled by a master hand, mellowed with age yet still vigorous and inspiring. An ancestral sugar bowl, a row of silver goblets, some spoons and some ice and you are ready to start. Mix over low heat a solution of equal parts sugar and water. Let cool. Choose 20 or 30 small mint leaves, preferably no larger than a dime, and put them in a small bowl. Pour 4 or 5 ounces of bourbon over them so they are covered. Let soak 5 minutes. Gather the leaves in a bunch in clean white cloth and wring them out into the bourbon. Dip the bunch back in the bourbon and wring them out again. Repeat several times. Mix the sugar solution and a liter of Maker's Mark bourbon ? seven parts bourbon to two parts sugar solution. Now add the mint-infused bourbon a tablespoon or less at a time to the bourbon and syrup solution. After each addition you may need to leave the room to clear your nose. You want to add just enough of the minted bourbon so that the mixture has the faint smell of mint and tastes right. Stir thoroughly; you'll know when you've got it right. Add to a cup of ice crushed fine as snow but dry; do not allow it to degenerate into slush. Garnish with mint. Thus harmoniously blended by the deft touches of a skilled hand, you have a beverage eminently appropriate for honorable men and beautiful women. When all is ready assemble your guests on the porch or in the garden where the aroma of the juleps will rise Heavenward and make the birds sing. Propose a worthy toast, raise the goblet to your lips, bury your nose in the mint, inhale a deep breath of its fragrance and sip the nectar of the gods. Being overcome by thirst I can write no further.
    Recipe (Practical Recipe)
    Cool, crystal-clear spring water
    Fresh mint leaves (small)
    Maker’s Mark Bourbon
    Sugar
    Finely crushed ice

Mix over low heat equal parts sugar and water to make a sugar solution. Allow to cool.
    Place 20 to 30 mint leaves in a small bowl and pour enough bourbon over them until they are covered.
    Allow the mint leaves to soak in the bourbon 5 minutes, then gather the leaves in a clean cloth. Wring them
    back into the bourbon. Repeat several times.
    Mix the sugar solution and bourbon (7 parts bourbon to 2 parts sugar solution)
    Now add the mint-infused bourbon a tablespoon at a time to the bourbon and syrup solution until the mixture
    has a faint smell of mint and tastes right. Stir thoroughly until you know its right.
    Pour over finely crushed ice and garnish with fresh mint.

You're welcome...

Spring "Mint Condition" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yours is the recipe i copy year to year ;) should hang in it the camp in a frame :laugh: i planted a 6 x 10 foot mint garden last year for it and some mint blueberry mojitos as soon as the blueberries rippen :woohoo: really looking forward to tring one with the abisinthe, the have the real stuff now with the wormwood :)
    fukahwee maine

• Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    A note of caution: DRINKING CAN CAUSE MEMORY LOSS OR WORSE ... MEMORY LOSS :woohoo:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Fishless you need to get together with JLockhart with that absinthe stuff. I didn't even let my lips near that glass he tried to hand me the Sazrac. Dangerous stuff. You guys are crazy!!!
    I'm looking forward to the Derby. Should be a good one. :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    It makes a ferocious beast of man, a martyr of woman, and a degenerate of the infant, it disorganizes and ruins the family and menaces the future of the country......sounds good to me :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    :laugh: Definitely not something a lightweight shouldn't touch. Enjoy and take pics while under the influence. :woohoo: :laugh: :)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    That's the method I used for this one I made a couple of years ago. I unfortunately I do not have silver cups, yet. Our mint patch is now an inch or so high. :)
    MintJulip.jpg
    I tried Absinthe this past winter and did not care for it much
  • jl's sazerac recipe just rinses the glass with absinthe.. just a little flavor of it.. we still have 4 ears between the two fo us so how bad could it be :evil: