Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Butts on the Large

Options
hogaholic
hogaholic Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put three butts on my Large BGE. Making pulled pork for a large party Friday night. A bit of water soaked apple and mesquite wood for flavor with a drip pan of cranapple juice. Butts rubbed with my own rub I call crystal meth. I expect it will take nearly 24 hours at 235 with around 24 lbs of meat.

I will post some pics later.
Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hmm, I think they will be done in time for breakfast... or maybe brunch.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michael,

I was just gonna type that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Late again, huh? :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    What would you expect from a TN guy?

Just kidding.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The arithmetic took quite a while :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Hey, I resemble that remark :laugh:

Really...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Hey Hey Hey, I'm with JoJO, I resemble that remark also. Now here in TN we have heard the story of peeing on an electric fence but we still have to try it for ourselves just to see. :laugh: :laugh: Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    just put 22 butts on 4 eggs,, should be done around 1pm Friday..

it's 1.5 hours per pound of each butt not total weight.
    otherwise I'd be here two days.. too long to wait when you guests are all armed to the teeth... :S
    :unsure: :blink:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    1) 1.5-2 hr per pound estimate for each butt, assuming they are not slammed up next to each other.
    2) Chips do not have to be soaked when cooking in an egg.

3) Next run try it without the liquid in your drip pan. I'll bet you can't taste much difference. You definitely do not need the liquid to retain moisture in meats cooked in the Egg, and personally I've never been able to taste any difference from a flavored liquid, but maybe others can.

Good luck - some happy people are going to LOVE you tonight !!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    I just hope your neighbors didn't have their windows open all night being tortured by the scent! Then again, you guys might not be as crammed together down in TN as they try to put us up here in NoVa.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    16 hours later. Meat is at 187 and 190 internal. Nice looking bark. Egg still running at around 135-140. I'll pull it between 195-200 and let it rest in a cooler for a couple hours before pulling it.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Pictures to come later

I use the liquid in my drip pan because I don't like the smell of fat burning after dripping into a hot empty pan. I agree that it probably doesn't add much flavor, if any - but it certainly isn't hurting anything and costs very little.

Misippi Egger wrote:
    1) 1.5-2 hr per pound estimate for each butt, assuming they are not slammed up next to each other.
    2) Chips do not have to be soaked when cooking in an egg.

3) Next run try it without the liquid in your drip pan. I'll bet you can't taste much difference. You definitely do not need the liquid to retain moisture in meats cooked in the Egg, and personally I've never been able to taste any difference from a flavored liquid, but maybe others can.

Good luck - some happy people are going to LOVE you tonight !!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I think I would go ahead and pull it on the next few minutes, thats just me. If you are going to wrap and cooler it, it will climb a couple of degrees prob.