Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Ever Boston Butt

Options
Chemical Eggineer
Chemical Eggineer Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to buy the large BGE for my house warming party. I've been reading posts concerning the best method for cooking Boston Butts. I want the butts ready for pullin' around 2 on Saturday, so it seems like the general consesus is to start Friday evening. Rub the butts with mustard and whatever spice I prefer, stabilize the egg at about 230 dome, and then put on the butts with a plate setter and drip pan below. Cook app. 2 hrs per lb until internal T = 170. I plan to buy the plate setter and temperature probes along with the egg. Have I left anything out? Which probe should I buy? This will be my first cook in my new house and my first ever with the BGE, and I want it to be a hit! Thanks.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Internal temp needs to be 190deg, up to 205.

It's funny how techniques grow legs and become viewed as Forum standards, such as with mustard. I've been cooking butts, ribs, & brisket for 20 years and never heard of anyone rubbing mustard on them until about a year ago. Just seems odd to me, but I know many people do it.

No probes are required. Just check the temp around the 10 hour mark, then once an hour or so until done.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I've only done one but I did a lot of reading in here and the best advice I got from here was to allow for plenty of time for the cook. Take off when done and wrap in alum foil and wrap in towels and put in a cooler. I did this and I left it in the cooler for 5 hrs and when I pulled it out it was still steaming hot. Good luck!!! :)
    Ask a lot of questions about it these guys are great.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    First off go for a stable dome temp of 250 for at least an hour before putting your meat on. Fill your lump to halfway up into the fire ring. I never use mustard just a rub. For a probe I use the cheepies sold at Target or Walmart around $15, they work fine. Finally, take the meat to 190-195 as it won't be pullable at 170. -RP
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Chemical Eggineer wrote:
    Cook app. 2 hrs per lb until internal T = 170.
    First, as the others have mentioned, cook until at least 190 - my preference is 200. Best of luck, my friend. I'm sure it will be fantastic.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I agree, I ended up pulling mine off at 195 and when I took it out of the cooler I gave the bone a twist and came right out. Very good flavor
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Egg. Follow the advice the others gave, and you'll have a great cook.

In terms of the 'probes', there are two kinds of thermometers - a meat thermometer used by hand to tell when your meat is done, and a remote thermometer with a probe that is left in the meat and can monitor your cook continuously. In my opinion, you absolutely need a good meat thermometer to get the most out of your Egg. Most here swear by the Thermapen, but since you're not likely to find one locally, you can get away with a cheapie for now. Just make sure you calibrate it (and your Egg's dome thermometer) in boiling water before using. In terms of a remote thermometer, I've had pretty good luck on long cooks with the Maverick ET-73. You can live without this for a while if you can't find one locally, or don't want to shell out the extra $ early on.

A couple of other pointers for cooking a butt...

1) In terms of your timing, note that the 2 hrs/lb that you quoted can vary from butt to butt. Some will get done quicker, some will take longer. I generally add a couple of hours to my planned time, and if it gets done early, I double wrap in foil, wrap in a towel or two, and put in a cooler till I'm ready to serve. It will stay hot at least 4 hours this way. In my opinion, you're better off being done early than making your dinner guests sit around waiting. This also has the added advantage of freeing your Egg up earlier, allowing you to also use it to prepare appetizers or sides.

2) You didn't mention adding smoking wood in your technique. If you want a smoky flavor, add some chunks of wood to your fire before putting the meat in. I usually use a fruit wood like apple with pork.

Good luck!

-John
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chemical Eggineer,

Welcome
    The egg will hold 230* but for a first cook I would go to 250. Also, put some 1/2" copper plumbing tees under the drip pan so you don't get acrid smoke from the drippings. Cook til the bone twists out without any force 195* to 205* Good luck.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chemical Eggineer
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I will plan on cooking at 250 dome T and cooking until internal = 195ish. I know the 2hrs/lb is a guideline at best, so I will start checking when the time is getting close. I really only wanted the remote probe so I could sleep well knowing I didn't let my temperatures get out of control (probably unnecessary, but I'm new and don't want to screw up)! I guess I should start my cook a bit earlier and plan on wrapping with tin foil and towels and letting it sit in a cooler for a few hours. How long do I need to let it sit?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Lot's of good advice here, only thing I can add is resist the temptation to open the dome "just for a look", keep it shut. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, Fl
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I doesn't "need" to sit at all. It will be ready to pull a half hour after pulling it off. Wrapping &/or coolering will hold the heat until mealtime, up to several hours.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone post this link yet, so here you go:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

Everything you need should be there.

Calibrate your dome thermometer first.

I don't know that there's a real length of resting time target, it's just that we know that butts can sometimes take longer than 2 hours/pound, so we shoot to have them done early, and know that we can wrap them and put them in a cooler for a few hours, if needed.

Get your fire started, and dome temp approaching 250. Put the platesetter in, and when you get up to 250, let it sit there for a good long time to make sure you're stable at 250 (an hour wouldn't hurt...this being your first cook, two hours wouldn't hurt either). Then when you put the butt in, and the dome temp drops, resist the urge to adjust the vents. You'll get back to 250, but it might take a few hours. Just don't touch the vents.

Nice handle, by the way. I'm a Boilermaker Chem-E, class of '02.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It doesn't need to sit for long but it can sit for quite a while. Somebody has gone more than 5 hours and it was still hot. Look up Elder Wards method in recipes and pay attention to what he says about the fire building. If you are having company you will probably want to get up once through the night.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Chemical Eggineer wrote:
    ...sleep well knowing I didn't let my temperatures get out of control (probably unnecessary, but I'm new and don't want to screw up)! I guess I should start my cook a bit earlier and plan on wrapping with tin foil and towels and letting it sit in a cooler for a few hours. How long do I need to let it sit?

Hi, and welcome! Couple of things... while the egg can, and usually does hold it's temp well, I wouldn't suggest that you "sleep well", especially when you're new at this. There are several things that could go wrong (ran out of lump at 2AM, wasn't truly stabilized at the temp you wanted so it soared to 400 while you were sleeping, lump grate got clogged with small bits of lump so no airflow and the fire went out - just a few things that come to mind. So you might want to get up and check it a couple of times during the night.

Also, you don't NEED to let it sit in a cooler at all, other than the usual "rest" after cooking any meat (egg'd or not). I usually let mine rest for 30 minutes or so. If it's done early, you CAN wrap it and put in a cooler until it's time to pull and eat. I never do that myself - whenever it's done it's time to eat. :) I believe most folks recommend the cooler for 4 hrs or less.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chemical Eggineer
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice. I'm a USC Gamecock class of 2008!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    You don't need to let it sit in a cooler but it takes the pressure off you if it's done before you are ready to serve. Also not sure if anyone has mentioned this but there is a time where the temp will just sit there, I think it was around 160 or 170 the experts will tell you more about that, just don't panic it will go up and it will be great. Everyone told me it's very hard to screw this up but you'll be a nervous wreck like I was for your first one.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mark0525 wrote:
    Everyone told me it's very hard to screw this up but you'll be a nervous wreck like I was for your first one.

:lol::lol::lol: But it was worth it, huh?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mark0525
    Options
    Very much so, but until you do your first it doesn't matter how many people tell you that you can't screw it up and that it taste so great. :)
  • A couple of things:

1. Try cooking one BEFORE the party just so you're not doing it for the first time. Pulled pork freezes and re-heats well, so you won't waste it.

2. Don't get your shorts in a ball. Pulled pork is very forgiving.

3. Cook it until at least 190 degrees! It won't pull (although it is completely safe to eat and can be sliced) at 170.

4. Probe meat thermometers are cheap and easy to use and will let you cut the number of times you open the egg. Remember: Most people aren't lazy enough to make good BBQ. They fiddle and prod and poke it, causing all sorts of temp spikes and problems. TRY TO LEAVE IT ALONE.

5. Get up once at least overnight just to check on things, but if you use fresh lump (not used lump, which is fine for most things but not this) for your fire, problems are rare.

6. Clean out your egg COMPLETELY before attempting any long smoke. I always pull out my fire ring and my firebox, and completely clean the bottom of the egg, before I do a really long smoke. The only way to get all of the ash out is to remove everything -- even the ash tool, which is very handy, will leave stuff behind.

7. See No. 2. See. No. 2. SEE NUMBER TWO. Remember: Worrying makes the meat tougher.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    nah, wing it!!! You'll be fine just give yourself time. No need to practice :) Have fun
  • SmokyArkie
    Options
    I am new to BGE but I have a few suggestions gleaned from others (thanks Forum) and from my own cooks. Pulled pork is a staple around our house for entertaining, pot lucks, etc and we do at least two or three Boston Butts a month. I don;t know about the ice chests and towels but I do know that portable crock pots (the ones with clamps on the lid) can be great ways to cook at home and enjoy the meal somewhere else or (within reason) later.

1. Start with new lump and use the bigger pieces.
    2. Once you have a good start on your fire allow the BGE to come up to temp WITH the plate setter inside.
    3. Make sure your temp remains stable for a reasonable amount of time before putting on your Boston Butt.
    4. Get a big glass of iced tea and watch it for a half hour or so. Then come back later with a good appetite.

Most of my problems have been due to one of the four issues listed above and I haven't had any problems when I didn't mess up 1-4.

Have fun!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    We wonder why people get freaked out. All the probes, calibrations, wiggle rods, stabilizing with plate setter in, etc, etc.
    Just establish a fire, put in the indirect piece,drip pan, grid, and get the thing to 250 then put the butt on there until its 190.
  • Chemical Eggineer
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice. I doubt it will be possible to screw this up now! A few more people are coming than I originally thought, so I will be smoking two butts at the same time. Is the technique any different? Do I calculate the approximate cook time based on the weight of one butt or the two combined?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Nope, no different. It should take roughly the same amount of time, just separate the butts so you get bark on all sides.