Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini questions ... !

cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to buy a mini tomorrow from someone, but the pictures leave me with a few questions. It has never been used, but it might be kind of old. The fire grate appears to be ceramic instead of metal. Also, there doesnt appear to be a DFMT. I seem to recall that the mini did not come with a DFMT in the begining (I could be wrong here). If it doesnt have one, will the DFMT from my small work on it? Dont they use the same DFMT? Can I use the acronym DFMT any more in this post?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    jabbines....First, the ceramic grates are awesome. Our "ole Lady" (Lg Egg we have had for 14 years had the ceramic....until it finally let go a few months ago). Also, with the DFMT, the older eggs were regulated strictly by the ceramic topper (which I think we all pretty much now call the rain cap). But that USED to be the only temp control method on the top, and, yes, was still very effective. You can use the DFMT from the small if you want, but honestly, don't expect ANY kind of controlled temp control from the mini. Think of the mini like a hibachi. Quick, high temp cooks, for the most part. ;)
  • cookingdude555
    Thanks little chef, I was thinking the airflow would be lower with the ceramic grate. I guess the exhaust could be controlled using a brick as well. From reading in here, it seems the mini is a little hard to control on the temp side of things.

Its actually for my brother. He is not sure about the mini as his first egg, but its a pretty good deal. I am going to buy it, and let him use it. If he likes it, he can pay me for it, otherwise its mine. If he keeps it, I will just pick up a new one this summer, the new hinge looks pretty slick anyway.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Jabinns, The DFMT for a small will be to big so get one for a mini and you will do fine. If you keep an eye on the mini when you light it you can control the temp, but if you let it go it will be at 450+ in no time. I love my Mini.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm, temp control on mine is pretty good. I haven't done a lo n slo with it :), but when I want 350 or 400, I can get it. I do have a DFMT.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Don't expect the mini to cook identical to the other eggs. The lump is much closer to the cooking grid which produces a higher heat and a higher radiant heat at the grid level.

The mini woo is a great accessory for the mini. I wouldn't worry about the ceramic fire grate, if when it breaks go pick up a floor drain from a plumbing store, HD or Lowes.

DFMT, I seldom use it on my mini. If you want to keep some smoke in the egg you could make some wood caps with different drilled holes or make cap with a slider connected to it.

I wouldn't recommend a mini for a first egg but if the price is right (real low) I wouldn't pass it up either.

The mini sure if a fun egg and I cook a lot of different foods on it.

GG
  • cookingdude555
    GG, your right, not sure if my bro should have mini for first egg. I am ready to buy it if he doesn't want it. He really wants the large. Check KSL's classifieds to see the mini. It has never been used, and she is selling it for 130. I am waiting in her work parking lot right now to make the exchange.
  • cookingdude555
    Purchased ....

22f7d314.jpg

never posted images dire from iPhone, well see if this works. Mini looks good. Little rust from being outside and never used, and some mold inside. That will be gone quick though.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great buy...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I can get fairly decent temp control with my mini; get yourself a daisywheel. Even if it gets super-hot, you can cool it down (if you're patient). Did two thick slabs of tuna, seasoned with sesame oil & sichimi powder, as well as teriyaki portobello mushrooms on my mini last night (at the same time, it's bigger than you might think at first glance).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I wouldn't worry about the light rust, some WD40 & steel wool works wonders. I have a little rust on mine also.

Did you get a ceramic cap? I don't think I would spend the money to buy the DFMT though. The mini gets hot fast so if you want a lower temperature catch the regulation early on when lighting. Here is the mini with the mini woo, very worthwhile purchase.

min_n_woo.jpg

bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

I have also cooked 6 ears of fresh corn on the mini. It was stuffed and some of the ears sticking out the dome, but it cooked the corn great.

You are going to love the mini.

If the mini didn't come with a stand make one rather than getting the one they use for the mini.

Been wondering how are you liking your small?

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    CarolinaQ - I did mis-speak by saying not to expect 'any' control. Fully agreed. Yes, we can shoot for target temps like you say, 350, 400, 500....but IMO, I would rather fall down a flight of stairs then try a 'low n slow' on the mini. :) Though I believe I have seen a couple posted on this forum.....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well, I suppose if the Mini was my only egg, I might be tempted to try a lo n slo. But then, I'd have to figure out how to replenish the lump in the middle of the cook. At least once! :)

Please be careful on the stairs! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Been wondering how are you liking your small?

GG

The small is great. The heat up time is definitely slower than my large, but it hasn't really affected my cooking. I like the small so much that the large is rarely used. I have done one low and slow with the large in the last month since I bought the small, the large just sits there. The large is still the best egg in my opinion, but my small family doesn't need the capacity it gives very often. I really like this mini. I have been playing with it all afternoon just burning handfuls of lump seeing what it can do. My brother is coming to get it tomorrow, so I need to get some time with it. If he ends up keeping it, I will be buying the new one with the new hinge soon. Great little cooker!