Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Cedar Egg Table

Driving Hamster
Driving Hamster Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I finally finished my table for my large BGE. Made out of western red cedar and finished with a (UV Resistant/mold resistant) transparent Thompson's water repellent. I first made the design in Google's SketchUp to work out all the angles and dimensions. I did make some various minor modifications on the fly during construction (i.e moved the 4*4 posts in closer to the center, modified the width and reduced the number of boards on the lower shelf, changed the cross supports in the lower frame a bit to increase strength, etc.)

The top is made from select cedar 2*4's that were ripped down (to get rid of the rounded edge) and then planed to the same thickness. Glued up and then sanded until the cows came home. The top ended up being 3/16" thicker than I had planed so I had to put the ceramic feet under the egg so the spring hinge would clear the table top.

All stainless steel screws, hardware, etc. 5 inch casters are solid PTU with stainless steel swivel plates and brakes. Almost all of the frame joints were done with stainless steel (Kreg) pocket joinery and glue. The stone below the egg is a 2'*2' stock concrete paver from Lowe's.

It's pretty strong. I weigh 190 pounds and was able to gently jump up and down on the frame without it flexing.

Although the top turned out a little bit different than I had hoped I'm still pretty happy with it. Just ordered a grill cover for it to keep it looking decent.

850206524_PCsuF-M.jpg

850158714_AUGzh-M.jpg

850160372_Kn2tJ-M.jpg

850161969_abBfx-M.jpg

850164921_Tii8k-M.jpg

850166263_Pgutg-M.jpg

850167714_CuCzZ-M.jpg

850169018_FntzV-M-1.jpg
Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst

Comments

• JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    That table is awesome, Thompson's won't last so you better just ship that one to me and build a new one. :)
  • Beautiful table! Lots of time and work. You should be proud of it. Makes mine look like collapsed barn. :blush:
  • AMAZING Table! That took a lot of time and effort I'm sure. Matches really will with your deck as well. I like your deck railings too. Clean modern styling. Thinks I'm going to redo my deck boards and railings this year... :whistle:
  • Very Impressive. Beautiful design and execution. I know you will enojoy it tremendously.
  • cb
    cb Posts: 27
    That is beatiuful, I like the curved design..
    Where are you located and will you be producing these for sales?
  • Thanks for the positive comments. The deck railings were made out of Ipe and I considered using that for the table. It was just a local supply issue that kept me from using it again. I supposed if I looked harder I would of found it but I got lazy. The stainless steel cables on the deck made for a huge improvement in the view from the deck.

LOL at Pilcher Man's collapsed barn comment. :laugh:

I am located in the southeastern part of Pennsylvania. No immediate plans to make egg tables for others but this may change. This pesky full time job thing gets in the way :( .
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Beautiful table.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    This is BEYOND an Egg Table. This is Table Art. Thanks for the post and pictures.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    That is one of the best tables I have seen and I have built two myself that aren't to shabby.
    The Thompson's won't hold up, you might want to consider some Helmsman's Spar varnish by Min-Wax, it will take a minimum of three coats [five or six on the top], but it will do much better. Thompson's is waaay overated! Helsman's comes in several levels of "gloss", I like "clear satin" on mine.
    You obviously know what you are doing, so pay me know mind if you wish! :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Beautiful table, These new tables you guys are posting are really setting the bar high.
  • Thanks for the heads up on the Thompson's. I had suspected I would only get one season out of it. Will definitely change to something else this fall. Probably give that Helmsman's a shot.

Thanks again for the comments.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That is one hell of a table. I downloaded sketch up. How long did it take for you to get the hang of the program.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That is one hell of a table. I downloaded sketch up. How long did it take for you to get the hang of the program.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    You sir, do fine work.
  • I have used SketchUp on a few other wood projects before. Even used it to 3D model my basement before I built it out. It's a pretty powerful program (for it being free) and there is a lot of on-line tutorials and how to videos that are very helpful. So in other words it's a pretty quick learning curve.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    VERY VERY NICE :cheer:
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    DH,
    Beautiful table. I was wondering how extensive you planned and designed using Google Tools. I like the design and am thinking about making the same design with a more dramatic corner or curve, more of a 90 (2 45 degree angle) angle with Eggs on the wings. I have a large and a Medium egg and was thinking about a corner table. Would you mind sharing the plans and I may be able to modify them to accommodate 2 Eggs and 2 45 degree angles.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
    T-Que
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Welcome newbie, great looking table. Nice job.

Patti
    Wichita ,KS
  • T-Que,

I have used SketchUp on about 4 projects now (excluding my basement design). I like it because it allows me to see what works and what doesn't before I cut even a single board. Since cedar, cyprus, Ipe, etc can be expensive I find the time spent designing is a bigger benefit than the potential $$ lost from a early-mid project redesign.

Send me an email and I will email you back with my google Sketchup files. As a bonus the large BGE in that model is actually to scale (not modeled by me though).
  • Ok, got the Google SketchUp files cleaned up a bit for those who were asking for them. If you would like to see them send me a pm on here.
  • Well the table is now well broken in. Even had my first (and hopefully last) fire! I'll explain...

I was going to clean the ash out of the egg for the first time before starting a multi-hour smoke for some ribs. I had used the egg about 24 hours before. Opened the lid and pulled some of the excess coconut charcoal pieces out and set them on an aluminum pan so I could really get the ash tool in there. This was mistake number one. I live in a generally breezy area and I did notice upon removal that some of the coals were still warm to the touch (mistake/warning number two).

Went down below to begin scooping out the ash and after about 2 minutes or so I popped my head up to notice smoke/flames coming off the table top in the area of the aluminum pan! I threw the coals back in the egg, got the hose and put out the flames. I now had two 6 inch round scorch marks on the table. The wind must of re-ignited the coals and transferred the heat right through the aluminum pan into the table top. I sanded out most of the burn marked (about 1/4 deep). Originally filled it with wood filler but sanded that back out because I didn't like the way it looked. So now the right side has two small burn marks that make the table "antiqued".

I have since went out and bought a thick piece of travertine tile that I put little feet on. This is where I now put anything that is hot. Lesson learned the hard way.
  • Awesome table. I first saw it on NakedWhiz and said to myself that is what I want my table to look like. If you still have a copy of the SketchUp files that you could email me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Doug
  • This table is amazing, if you still have the sketchup files available, I would love to try and recreate it.

Cheers,

Chris

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Ah, I see this is bumped from 2010.  Glad you did though, Ecolad; Hamster, that design is beautiful!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Deckchef
    Deckchef Posts: 40
    edited February 2012
    Great looking table ( realize I'm a little late to the party ) I'm a pretty decent woodworker myself and previously posted pics of my table that I made out of Spanish cedar ( 2nd choice also to IPE of which my lumber guy did not have enough of ) . I used about 72 bdft of 5/4 wood. My only recommendation would be to stay away from spar urethane , it WILL EVENTUALY yellow and peel. I used teak oil , it hardens IN the wood not ON the wood and it is also food safe. It has excellent u.v. Protection and water protection and if it stays covered most of the time it will go years without needing a recoat . Just my thoughts ;) kudos again !
  • Pics are under a discussion called " guess I'm gonna be contacting my dealer "