Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP lighter

Dale
Dale Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I notice lots of references to a MAPP torch. Is there any recommendation for type, size, brand etc? I tired of these paraffin cubes, always running out when I need them.

Dale

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Dale, I'm with you. I've been going through the starter cubes and I'm almost out so I think I will buy a Mapp also. Just afraid of the sparks.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Grab the Bernz-o-matic with the push button starter at your local hardware store (support the little guys). The kit with the started and one bottle should set you back about 40 clams.

If you experience sparking just back the flame away from the lump an inch or two or move to a new spot where it will spark less.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I use my handheld propane torch 5-7x a week and it usually lasts 6 months or more...it is so worth the $40...I also try to wear goggles when lighting the lump.
  • Dale
    Dale Posts: 41
    so Propane or Butane, either work fine?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yes, but if you get propane get the igniter that has the hose. A lot of propane torches won't burn upside down. MAPP will.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Come on guys I can't handle cooking and now you want to put a torch in my hands!!!! :) My eyebrows and eyelashes are just starting to grow back from when I blew into the top vent :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

When buying your torch some propane heads will work just fine. Just make sure you get a "pressure regulated" head. The BernzOmatic TS3000 qualifies as does other heads.

A non pressure regulated head when use in an inverted position will allow the liquid to travel down the head and will put out the flame. When it is cold outside there is less pressure in a tank and a non pressure regulated head will produce a smaller flame.

MAPP outputs 3 times more heat than propane.

The disadvantage of MAPP/Propane is the lump sparks with the intense heat and if not careful you will go through a lot of shirts. However, it is popular and a good lighting method.

GG
  • CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    I think MAPP is 30% more heat instead of 3 times.
    I use it to start chimney or any stack of charcoal.

Maybe close the vents when blowing the torch on it. because sparks does fly.

So it is OK to use on the egg? I think it is safer than a electric starter IMO.
  • Grandpas Grub

The bottle I just put has "3X" more heat on the label. I haven't measured so other than the label, I have no idea.

GG
  • ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Get the MAPP. It's a good investment. I got one a few years back and will never go back to using anything else to light fires. The canisters last a good long while too.

As far as the spark issue, you can regulate the intensity of the flame to bring it down so it doesn't spark so much. Also I've noticed if you light already used lump it hardly sparks at all. I just throw the old stuff on top of the new stuff and light that.
  • I recently bought the BBQ Guru "Golf Club" extension for my MAPP lightner. It works very well so far. It comes with a holder so you can suspend the MAPP cannister outside the EGG. It also has an extension so you can nestle the flame in the lump and not have to hold anything. The setup allows you to step away from the sparks/

Other than skins burns - is there any danger from the spark - such as lighting a MAPP gas leak?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Rod,

It's the only way to fly. B)

I will have a Weed burner before the snow though.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Kent,

Just stand behind the dome and look down the chute with some eye protection. ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if you have a bottle from a gas grill, the harbor freight weedburner is the way to go, they last longer for me. i may be harder on things than most because ive had two mapp torches burst in flames that ive tossed into the lake with that uneasy feeling that it could have blown my hand off :laugh: just my own experience and opinion on mapp torches
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub

Come on... that's to easy. :) I sure do have a lot of paint shirts. MAPP seems to be the cheapest but the cost of those shirts will kill ya.

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have had the same MAPP torch for about 5 years, only problem was the auto igniter died a few years back and I bouaght a welders flint striker and it solved the problem. Regarding the sparks I placed a 5 1/2 inch metal cap on the nozzle and it works fine.

100_2162.jpg
  • I have both the benzomatic pressure regulated nozle and the extended tube nozel. I like the tube better but it does experience some unusual problems like not wanting to work in the cold. but it is nice to set the tank on the table and just hold the nozel head and hose into the fire. and to reduce sparking you bury the tip of the nozel under some lump, no sparks!