Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cut of meat for pulled pork?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and if you have a suggestion, it would be great. Am I looking at like 200 for 8 hours or thereabouts?? Never done it before. Also, I love the vinegar red BBQ sauce like Fresh Ait BBQ in Georgia has, anyone have a recepie for somthing similar??[p]Thanks all!!!!

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Greg,[p]The cut of meat for pulled pork is generally what's called a Boston Butt. It has several other names as well.[p]I don't think that 8 hours at 200 degrees will get you anything you can pull.[p]Try Elder Ward's recipe. you can find it, and much more information on The Naked Whiz' site.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    [ul][li]Elder Ward's Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • ChefDBA
    ChefDBA Posts: 20
    Options
    Greg,
    Yep Boston Butt is the meat. It's actually the top portion of the shoulder of the pig. The lower portion is called the picnic.[p]If you want to do it right, which means all of the connective tissue turns into gelatin and coats the meat so you won't realize that you have completely dried out the meat, you need to go at least 20 hours at 200 degrees. I've heard some people going 16 hours and then bumping the temp for the last 1.5 to 2 hours. I did 3 butts on the large BGE and cooked them at 212 degrees for 22 hours on Saturday. I brined them for 24 hours beforehand and they were sopping wet when I pulled them (sopping with gelatin, not juice, but you'll never know the difference).[p]Good cooking to you.

• Unknown
    Options
    ChefDBA,[p]admittedly I am new to the Egg (large one)but will I run out of fuel during a 20 hour cook? I have just been putting enough charcoal to cover the side holes, but should I use a lot more if I am going to do this??[p]Thanks!
    [/b]
  • ChefDBA
    ChefDBA Posts: 20
    Options
    Greg,
    I don't think you can ever have too much charcoal in there...lol, I'm sure there is some point of rediculousness, but I went above the fire ring as overkill, and had enough coal left to still do about 5 more hours of cooking doing the ribs and chickens later on.[p]Years ago I got almost 20 hours out of a load in a Small BGE.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Greg,
    fill it to the rim of the fire rinf at least.
    you won't ever burn it all, and can reuse it for the next cook....[p]i've done back to back cooks without reloading and gone 32 hours total

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    James,
    if you can't scare up a boston butt, the picnic shoulder(which is the cut on the leg below the boston butt)is really good too.[p]any shoulder cut, not a fresh ham, though

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Greg,[p]An excellent sauce for pulled pork can be found at:
    [ul][li]The Best Ye Ever Tasted[/ul]