Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smok'n...Tried It?

Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seems there had been some discussion on the forum sometime ago (maybe I'm dream'n) about "cold smok'n" using a large egg with the meat in it and a small egg set below with the charcoal and then the smoke was vented up into the large egg where the smoke does its magic. Anybody remember or have the plans or is this just a smokey dream?[p]Nu-Guy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Nu-Guy,
    Been talk about setting up something like that. Someone actually did it and posted a picture if I be recollectin. Had a metal dryer hose connecting the 2 eggs.[p]Also, look in the archives...Mike O did a relatively cold smoked salmon over a pan of ice. As usual, he decribed his technique thoroughly.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nu-Guy,[p]Never tried cold-smoking, but I'm always cold-chillin'! Also, maxin' like Michael Jackson and chillin' like Bob Dylan.[p]Sorry. Feel free to delete this...[p]Cornfed
  • Nu-Guy
    Nature Boy,
    Well, I was just think'n. Man, you could get some serious smoke to that meat and then put it up on Mr. Big and finish the cook.....could be interest'n
    Mmmmmmmm..... Somebody slap me before my wife does. I can just here her now..."Can't you just leave things alone?"

• Nu-Guy
    Geeeee Cornfed,[p]You're not into the barley pops already this morn'n are ya? Slow down, the weekend is just start'n!
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Nu-Guy,[p] Depending on what you're smoking, you can do different things. If you really want to cold smoke something like salmon you really should keep the smoke temp under 90 degrees or so, according to most of the stuff I've read. In the summer, this can be quite problematic. When I did the salmon, it was pretty cold outside and I was able to keep dome tmep low with a small fire in the large BGE and the fish over a pan of ice. Only mistake I made was not letting the fish dry enough afterward so the texture was a bit too gelatinous for me -- tasted good, though. Now that I have the small BGE, I do plan to try the cold smoking thing again with the small ported into the large with something like metal dryer vent tubing.[p]On the other hand, if you just want to get a lot of smoke flavor into your food while it cooks, you can start a small fire in the BGE and put some wood on it right away. Cooking indirect, let the temp in the dome creep up slowly (don't preheat at all) making sure the wood is still burning. That's what I did with the pulled pork I took to Eggfest and it seemd to get a good level of smoke in there without being overpowering.[p]MikeO
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nu-Guy,[p]No barley pops yet, but I'm looking oh so forward to a cold one or two after work. Long week. Done with school. Time to kick back, light the BGE, and enjoy some fine food and beverages.[p]Cornfed
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MikeO,[p]This is essentially what I did with the salmon I grilled last night. I had quite a bit of baffling in the egg. I lit the fire, let a SMALL handful get going, put a lot of cherry wood on the fire and set the firebricks on the grate. I had a pan of beer on the bricks then the foil wrapped grill on top of all of that. I had the top open 100% and the bottom opened 1/2. The temp reached 350 after about 40 minutes but TONS of smoke. I'm sure that the fire was a LOT hotter than the 300 but the dome temp where the fish was worked out perfect. On average the fish was grilled at about 300 but that ranged from 250-350 with the end giving the fish a nice crispy crust. Good technique for getting a LOT of smoke.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MikeO, Good post, and I agree with ya! We used to emphasize pre-heating and stabilizing the BGE before putting in the meats. I also have done a change up to the lower temp start with them meats in to obtain a deeper smoke ring. [p]One needs to get the fire stabilized no matter how small the amount of charcoal is lit. As long as the core fire is matured to glowing red hot coal then your ready for the charcoal to be stacked on top of the core, and then layer with smoking wood chunks for the smoke. Put on the meats, and watch the temperature creep up and adjusting the vents accordingly to the regular cooking levels you want.[p]I did a extreme load for a test the other day, and I loaded up the charcoal (after a core fire started) to within a inch of the regular grate. Nearly to the top of the firering! This is maximum fill up for only Low and Slow cooking. Not only did I fill this large BGE up, but I also placed two firebricks directly on the top of the smoking wood and the fire, just for grins and to see what would happen. I am BBQing ribs for a Monday night neighborhood snack.
    Boy did I get smoke, and put the ribs on at around 90 degrees or whatever temp it might have been. Ribs direct on the double grills. 8 racks of baby backs. [p]I adjusted the temps to a rock solid 250 degrees and it chortled along there right up to removal time. Never turned a rib. 5 hours cook time.
    It was interesting the minimum amount of charcoal that was consumed, as well as the migration of the fire thru the charcoal. [p]I don't recommend newbies trying this till they get some wind in their sails and feel adventuresome.[p]BTW...I used that original fill for multiple cooks since the big fill, and have yet to use up the charcoal. I just relight it and cook...:-)[p]Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Nu-Guy, Yep, there was, and I think very successfully. I think you could do the same thing with some innovations without the smaller BGE for the fire/smoke source. E.mail me if you like for some ideas if your serious.
    C~W

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]How much smoking wood are you using CW? I've cut up some 6/4 scrap cherry hardwood that I've been using lately, cut up into about 2x2 cubes essentially. I use 4-5 of these soaked and it seems to get things well for about an hour to an hour and a half, then it peters out. I also think it may be the way that you bury your fire in the lump. I dig down about 1/4 into the lump, put in the starter cube (cut up fire log) and get it going, then add coals onto that. Your fire seems to start deeper in the lump pile and you may be getting more smoke from the lump itself? Just curious.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    sprinter,
    Sounds like you be usin enough wood, as long as it is strategically placed. After an hour and a half, the meat has begun to crust, and has already absorbed most of the smoke that it will take. You could add another chunk or three out more toward the perimeter, so if the fire moves that way you will get continuous smoke. IMO, the first hour or two are the times to pour the smoke on.[p]Q on
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    sprinter, sorry late with a response, but NB covered it pretty good.[p]Yep, I get my core fire down deeeeeeeeeep as in baseball terms. I like to see the fire work uphill and control it thru the lower vent. Some claim it burns slower down hill, I have yet to see the burn proven either way, as I can get 24 hour non stop burns consistantly. And others do also in reverse. I guess that leave only one conclusion, both work..heeeeeee. ooops.. I did it again! As far as the smoke itself, as long as its white, its good smoke. I also use cherry at times and cut in about the same sizes. U do Good! Just avoid chainsaw cut wood.
    Cheers............... > Char-Woody

• Nu-Guy,[p]Yep, I've tried it and it works very well. Check out Songdog's archives for the explanation and the pictures. The post is dated 12/10/1999 and titled "Cold Smoking with 2 eggs".[p]Ashley

[ul][li]Songdog's[/ul]