Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Onions??

BigABigA Posts: 1,157
edited 8:50PM in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to do onions? I usually cut them up, add some butter, or olive oil, and wrapp them tight in foil and throw them on the egg. any other ideas??

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    You can cut out the core and put butter and a bouillon cube in then wrap in foil and cook. -RP
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,480
    Thick sliced, oil, salt and grill ;)
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    We do sweet onions the way Randy said...yummy. :)
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,953
    With a handle like your's, you should know your onions !! :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    ;) :) :lol: :silly: :woohoo:
  • We don't core the vidalia onion and use about a 1/8 stick of butter in each onion.
  • I cooked up some onions this way last year and they were very tasty. Last Sunday, I was doing a pork roast and half way through the cook I started thinking I should have done them again :( . Next time I won't forget.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• What Randy said except we don't core. They come out like french onion soup without the broth and cheese on top.
  • Kenny 13Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    If I'm doing onion slices, such as those to top burgers, I like to thickly slice the onion then stick water-soaked toothpicks or bamboo skewers through the side all the way to the core to pin them together while they're on the grill.
  • BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    Oh i know my onions!!! Village!! :cheer:
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I like to core them,splash the inside with worchester sauce,fill with brown sugar,place a pat of butter on top,crisscross top with 2 slices of bacon,wrap in HDAF,cook just like a baked potatoe.YUM! :)

TIP-Short,flat,fat onions are sweeter than elongated ones.
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    I love the way Vidalia1 does his. Delicious!!
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Cut them into wedges. Toss with some minced garlic, melted butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a little raging river if you have it on hand.

Spread in a baking sheet, pizza pan, or in my case a paella pan. Basically you want a single layer. Roast at 350-375° until the onions are soft and begin to have a little char on the edges. Partway through the cook add maybe 1/4 or 1/2 cup of stock to help them cook through.

OnionsRaw800.jpg

OnionsChickenOn800.jpg

OnionsDone800.jpg
  • This newly released cookbook has a great BBQ onion recipe, so did the old edition (which can probably be found at a library).

The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook, 25th Anniversary Edition
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 990
    who's Randy?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    AZRP = AriZona Randy Price
  • That looks nice Fidel - wonder what adding a few capers to it might do.

Neaux capers were harmed in this message.
  • RicklesssRicklesss Posts: 391
    AZRP wrote:
    You can cut out the core and put butter and a bouillon cube in then wrap in foil and cook. -RP

I'd like to try this, it sound's good!
    You put an entire bouillon cube in it?
    It's not over-powering? (not salt-wise, I'd probably use low sodium) but some bouillon's are powerful concentrated...
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I do mine very similar to fidels, but smaller batches in a small CI skillet. I tend not to use any butter or other oil, maybe a shot of PAM. I like them charred.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00085a.jpg

I just cut off the top and enough of the bottom for them to sit upright. Then make a few cross cuts (wagon wheel style), then wrap in plastic wrap and microwave on hi for 1 minute. This releases a lot of moisture and allows the petals to separate a bit. (like putting a lemon in the wave for a few seconds before squeezing it)

Let rest for about 3 minutes, remove the plastic, move into a foil boat, add some olive oil followed by some Herb-Ox beef bullion and put into a baby cast iron skillet, then cook for about 40 minutes.

Next would be French Onion Soup, Julia Child recipe... but I don't do that on the Egg. However I do use my MAPP torch to brown the croutons.

DSC07146a.jpg

DSC07149a.jpg

DSC07150a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery