Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draft Problem

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Egg will not keep a draft and I have to open the lid to revive the fire about every hour. The Egg has been cleaned and has no cracks that I can see. The bottom vent has to be left all the way open to keep the fire from going out.

Comments

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Linda Hamby,[p]Do you have the clean-out in the fire box lined up with the vent in the front? This is important for proper air flow...
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Linda Hamby,
    Sounds like you may have holes in the grate plugged with small pieces of lump restricting air flow.
    Firebox opening may not be aligned to lower draft door, if you took it apart to clean out the ashes.
    Maybe damp lump, but usually not the problem.
    Daisy wheel closed to far to allow airflow through the egg.
    Just some things to double check.
    All I can think of for now.
    Bob

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Linda Hamby,[p]5 years with my Egg and when I cleaned him out last week I got the firebox just slightly missalingned with the lower vent and , being a little slow, it took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong. Just a slight missalignment can make a big difference. Usually that all it is. Good Luck
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Linda Hamby,[p]What kind of Top are you using?[p]
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    BGEdiagram.gif
    <p />Here's what everyone is mentioning. Notice the opening at the bottom of the fire box. It should be lined up with the slide vent door opening.