Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new owner, please recommend accessories?

CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be getting a large BGE with the nest (table plans in the future)

I want to find out what is needed for indirect cooking/pizza.

One thing I see everyone needs is a plate setter, but I am not sure if I should get the BGE plate setter or the spider + 13" ceramic stone at the ceramic grill store? The spider holds the drip pan also.

Can you recommend a pizza stone?.

What else do I need to get cookin', I am not new to charcoal grilling but I am new to BGE. Mostly interested in indirect and low and slow cook.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Hey, glad to see you signed up here! You already know my opinion on the adjustable rig/spider combo. If you do go that route, I understand that the stones from the ceramic grill store are good. I have the BGE stone for my large, but I'll probably pick up one from the ceramic grill store too.

As far as getting started, you can cook in your egg as is. If you're looking for indirect or low & slow capability, you're going to have to go with something like the plate setter or a setup with a stone or other indirect piece.
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    CaCook, When I do pizza I use the plate setter feet down with the original egg feet on top of that then a pizza stone set on the feet. That way the pizza stone is not in dierect contact with the plate setter. As far as other stuff, I am new to the BGE as you are but I went ahead and got the plate setter, a pizza stone, the woo 3 for raised grid whiuch also will hold a drip pan.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Get the things that the others have said, but also get the V rack, if you are cooking low and slow, you are probably going to do ribs and pork loins, pork butts, you will like to have the v rack for all of those. As far as a baking stone, i have a baking stone that i got from a pampered cheif party and it works well.
  • ChargerGuy
    Good Call BigA, forgot about the V rack!
  • twovkay
    twovkay Posts: 42
    CaCook,

I'm a newbie also and got some great advice from these people. Make sure you search Grandpas Grub's posting, he has a lot of good advice. I got a large with the nest, shelves & platesetter. Got many suggestions to wait for the rest of the stuff and cook a few times with these items, before getting more eggcessories. I plan to use the pizza stone from my oven since it is not from pampered chef.

Already did a 6 hr slow rib and it was so easy and tasted better than anything I've made before. Welcome & have fun with your new egg!
  • CaCook
    So just want to confirm, I need only one of these
    and not need to buy BOTH?

1) official BGE plate setter

2) spider + ceramic stone of choice.

Both will provide same results? Will the 13" stone and spider cause the outter edge of the meat to dry up, because the heat has a more direct path outside of the stone?
  • Kenny 13
    Correct, you do not need both the plate setter and a stone. However, you may elect to get both so you can use the plate setter as an indirect piece for when you're baking on the stone.

You may need to use something like a drip pan to protect your meat from some of the direct heat, but I'd imagine that's even a possibility with the plate setter and not just if you're using a stone as the indirect piece.

Edit: Also, be careful about what kind of baking stones you use. Someone above mentioned using the ones from the pampered chef. I've read several reports of those not holding up to the heat of baking in the egg, to the point of breaking.
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    someone mention the Pampered Chief stone. Had one until it decided it couldn't survive a hot fire. Have the BGE stone, with no problems

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    My preference for indirect is the BGE plate setter, and the BGE stone for pizza.
    Not sure why anyone would think a V-rack is needed for low/slo.
  • ChargerGuy
    Cause we are newbies and somewhere we heard we needed one, :laugh:
  • CaCook
    What about the round cast iron grate?

I wish it came standard..

But the wire grate is much easier to handle
  • Bacchus
    Gotcha, I think many folks get carried away with the accessories.
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a v-rack for low/slo. It does raise the level slightly, but that doesnt accomplish a whole lot. The biggest difference it makes is there is something else that needs to be cleaned.
    They would better used with direct cooking where that extra couple inches of space could be beneficial such as with whole chickens or roasts. Still, I havent used mine in over a year.
    The Cast Iron grids don't accomplish much either, aside from the aesthetics of sear marks. Makes for a pretty steak but does nothing for taste or texture.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CaCook,

Hello and welcome. The egg accessories and Ceramic grill store stuff is great. You don't really need anything to get going except some split firebricks and a second grid. The CI grid is great for sear marks but they tend to crack at high temps and there is no warranty.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CaCook
    Thank you for your QUICK responses and welcoming!!

I was wondering where can I find a probe holder that has a clip to hold the probe and then it wedge between the grid wires.
  • Kenny 13
    CaCook wrote:

I was wondering where can I find a probe holder that has a clip to hold the probe and then it wedge between the grid wires.

If I'm not mistaken, BBQ Guru makes something like that.

Here's the link: http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/The-BBQ-Guru-Probe-Tree.html
  • CaCook
    Kenny 13 wrote:
    CaCook wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, BBQ Guru makes something like that.

OK, so I guess still back to my old method of crumbled foil wedged between the grids :)
  • Hi CaCook,

I would wait to buy Eggcessories. I dove right in and bought some, and I wish I had waited because I think there may have been better options that I have learned about from reading the forum daily over the course of a few months. There are lots of options, and as you learn more you will find which one best suit your needs.

That being said, if you are going low and slow and you can afford it, I would get a Stoker (http://www.rocksbarbque.com). It makes life a lot easier on these long cooks. The pit probe for the stoker is a lot like the probe holder you inquired about.

Good luck and welcome!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you are looking for an alligator clip you can get them at Radio Shack or whatever they call it now.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Welcome .You are going to love your egg.
    I use the plate setter with firebrick spacers and a 16" ceramic coated Primo pizza stone.You don't need the plate setter with a adj.rig and spider.But if you can swing it ,it's nice to have both options.
    P1010062-1.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    and for baking bread
    P1010093.jpg
    I also use a spider and adjustable rig
    P1010121.jpg
    I use the spider with my wok for stir frying
    P1010035-1.jpg
    Spider with drip pan and chile
    P1010115.jpg
  • CaCook
    Hi Boston Stroker, why do you recommend electronic controls, is the BGE not stable enough to hold it's own temperature naturally?
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    If you don't already have a remote temp probe definitely invest in that. I have two since I don't trust myself to always get it in the right part of the meat. Mine are made by Webber, but I don't necessarily endorse them.

The thermopen (instant read thermometer) is great but pricey and can be for future wish list.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I don't have an electronic control and have never really wished for one. Many do swear by them. However, in my opinion I would hold off. You should at least learn the basics the old fashion way before you go that route.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Bacchus
    Cacook, you don't need a Stoker, or a remote thermometer. Just get your egg, setter, and stone and use it like that for a few months then start to form your own informed opinions about what you want.
    I do lo/slo all the time and have never had a need for a temp controller.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    A third hand from Third Eye is a nice accessory also.
    For lifting & holding your hot grate.
    P1010003-1.jpg
    his web site has some great recipes and tips as well.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
  • CPT EGG
    CPT EGG Posts: 3
    I love the WOO3 from the ceramicgrillstore.com on my large.
    Also, I recommend a Thermapen instant read meat thermometer.
  • CPT EGG
    CPT EGG Posts: 3
    I love the WOO3 from the ceramicgrillstore.com on my large.
    Also, I recommend a Thermapen instant read meat thermometer.
  • CaCook
    Can the BGE large handle laying flat, 2 untrimmed (not st louis) spare ribs without rack or stacks? I measured it should be a little over 15". e.g. from Costco.

If so, I don't think I need a rib rack yet.
  • Bacchus
    Yes it will, three actually.
  • CaCook
    So this is my shopping list and get my hands sooty without
    blowing the budget over what I already has spent on the cooker.

1) pampered chef or the BGE official pizza stone..

2) ceramic grill store's spider and ceramic disc.

3) BGE cover (Is this any good?) Picture seems thin and brittle.

I want some kind of 2nd tier grate but I was wondering if I can get the large Cast iron grate and elevate it with 4 bolts and washers as legs, and adjustable height also. Will the dome still close? Or how high will I be able to elevate the 2nd grate before the dome won't close

Thanks
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I used my v-rack once (I already had one that came with a roasting pan I bought pre-egg). The only reason I used it was because I had a packer brisket that wouldn't fit on the Large. When I curled it up and over the v-rack, I was (barely) able to close the dome. Laid out flat? No way.

I suppose it would also be helpful for cooking multiple rib racks. Assuming you don't mind cooking them standing on edge. Otherwise, can't see the need.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut