Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Raised Grid Direct Cooking

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've recently used a couple of recipes that specified that the meat (pork tenderloins in one case, chicken breasts on the bone in the other) should be cooked direct on a raised grid. Both came out very well using my grid extender. What are the reasons for cooking these higher up in the dome rather down on the main grid level? I mean, fat and juices are going to drop onto the hot coals no matter how high or low you place the meat.[p]Regards to all.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fairalbion,
    i'm not the expert on this one, but i think you use the raised grid mainly to keep the food further away from the direct heat source. . yes, you are still cooking direct, but the heat is spreading out more before it gets to your food, and therefore cooks more evenly and a little bit slower. . .[p]i may be off base here, but my story sounds good anyway. .. heeee

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You are on the "money." [p]Next time you have the egg fired up and ready to cook, place your hand at the regular grill level and see how long you can hold it there. Then move it to the "extended" grill level and see how that goes. That should answer the original question. [p]I also think the meat may be happier closer to the dome. Air currents, reflected heat, radiant heat?? Whatever is going on there.[p]Mike in MN

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    MMBE:[p]Plus the benefits of convection activity associated with the shape of these types of cookers.
    [/b]
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    fairalbion,[p]I cooked chicken breast yesterday with a grid extender for the first time, and was very pleased with the results. My motivation for using the grid extender was to get the meat further from the coals because my wife doesn't like the charbroiled taste that comes with a fast cook at the higher temp (closer to the coals). No char, just a hint of smoky taste, no grid marks. Still got done (160 deg.)in about 30 minutes.[p]BTW, I used a marinade (French West Indian Chile-Lime Marinade) from Steven Raichlen's book "Barbeque! Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades Bastes Butters & Glazes". It was awesome! For a greenhorn like me, I learned alot from the book and recommend the book to other newbies.[p]Chuck