Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg....Small or Mini?

Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I became a member of the BGE family late last winter and have been
having a ball learning to cook with it. I've got the bug bad now and
want to purchase a second egg for times when I'm cooking a small amount
for just me. A quick burger at lunch seems so insignificant to warrant
firing up the Large.[p]I'm leaning to the Mini as it's such a small cost item and my wife won't even notice the $99. I am concerned about how small it is and wonder if I shouldn't go for the Small? I've heard the Mini is much harder to control than its larger siblings and is really best for searing meat before slow cooking on a larger egg.[p]What do you recommend? That Mini is so damn cute![p]P.S. JJ, I emailed you this message.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Stuart,
    I replied.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Stuart, I have a mini BGE. [p]Without a doubt, it IS a bit tougher to learn to cook on a mini - it takes patience & practice - but once you can cook on a mini, a large BGE is childs' play. On the coldest winter days I keep the mini on a table right outside my back door and find, for some wierd reason, that the colder it gets, the more I use it! I have had a lot of fun coming up with the right size racks, drip pans, etc. Another plus is that the mini is small enough that I can easily transport it and use it for food demos for my business. A warning though, the mini likes expensive meats best: filet mignon, lobster, shrimp....[p]BONE appétit! J Appledog
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Stuart, you have the fever, I can tell! I have the small and the large BGE, but you have solid advice from two top pro's in the business...now your decision..It will be a ball either way. I use my small much the same as JCA. But I still want a Mini..!
    C~W[p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    If you're looking for single-serving stuff, a mini is great. I use mine actually more than my big guy. I did a 1-1/2 lb round roast on it last night and it was to die for. It handles fish great...just cut it in 3 pieces instead of one whole long one. Single serving, or even 2, works out fine. Heats up pronto, cools off pronto, uses almost NO coal, and about one tiny piece of firestarter. Can you tell I love it? The only thing is the average BGE thermometer is too damn long. It spears your food. Make sure to keep it about halfway out or you'll impale whatever you're making. Go for the mini!
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    JJ,
    And? What was your response?
    All this Mini talk has me wondering if I "need" one too!!!
    You Eggers are all alike...prompting me to spend more money! Please, don't stop!

• JJ
    bdavidson,
    Hi Stuart:[p]The mini has a 9" cooking grid and the small has a 13.5" cooking grid. For just a couple of hamburgers or one 2" thick porterhouse steak (for Kathy and Me) the mini is perfect. I do not use the mini for low and slo, just high temp grilling therefore temp control is not an issue. My recommendation would be to go for the small if you are only going to get 1 more EGG. The small is the perfect companion to the large. I use it for ribs, steak, small boston butts, chops, etc., when cooking for just the 2 of us. You can use it for both low and slo as well as high temp grilling. The mini would be the choice for a 3rd EGG. [p]Glad I could help. Feel free to contact my anytime.[p]JJ

• J Appledog
    MollyShark, I cut off about a third of a wine cork, drilled a hole through it lenghtwise and put the thermometer through it on the outside of the dome. JCA

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    myegg2.jpg
    <p />Stuart,[p]I just added the small (the one on the left, haha) last week myself so I don't have much experience with it yet but it sure seems perfect to accompany the large one. [p]Tim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    mykitchen.jpg
    <p />Stuart,
    I use my small egg twice as much as the other two put together,either one would be a good choice.
    YB

• Tim M
    YB,[p]What have you got the small built in?? That's pretty neat![p]Tim
  • YB
    Tim M,
    That is the mini in the white and black table.That is a old typewriter stand i had,a friend helped me cut corian shelves and top with drop leafs on both sides for it,the small is to the far right in a nest,i'm glad to see you got a small, you will love it,it is real easy to make a extra grate for the small and have two cooking surfaces,i think i spent about 10 dollars on it.I did go to Tuesday Morning at lunch and buy 4 polders for $9.95 each,only made it home with 2.
    YB

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    JJ,[p]I agree totally. The small is the way to go for a compliment cooker to the large. Very fuel efficient and much more versatile.[p]I didn,t win the mini at E2K. Are the steaks better than the small?[p]Spin[p]

• JJ
    Spin,
    I think so as the meat is closer to the heat for a better sear. My mini does an excellant job on steak too. For a real treat I do steak on my Chiminea using just wood.

• YB
    JJ,
    You my friend have to many toys,i think you should give us some.....
    Larry

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    J Appledog,
    Brilliant! I have an abundance of, umm, wine corks. Wonder where those devils keep coming from.

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    YB,[p]Uh oh, I worry about that use factor YB. If my wife sees me using the small twice as much as the large I'll have a hard time justifying the money spent on that big bad boy1
  • YB
    Stuart,
    I think we all should just bite the bullet and be like JJ, have a deck full of eggs.
    YB

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    JJ,[p]You continually present more cooking challenges and open new possibilities to me. Thank you, my friend.[p]Spin

• JJ
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />YB,
    What are you talking about Larry? hehe

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    00_00029.JPG
    <p />Stuart,[p] We love the mini. This might help with size perspective.
    Still worth the money & as you stated, wife will not even
    notice its gone.[p] Earl

• Earl,
    Hey, great photo of the mini. Knew when I saw your name on the forum I had to read your missive as I knew it would be thoughtful and insightful. So glad to have hooked up with you 2 @ the Fest. Instead of "Eggfest 2000", it might better have been named "Yes, we have no bananas".

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Christina Hurn, aka Bambi,[p] Hi There Bambi,[p] Good to hear from you.I told you it was easy to post once you got the hang of it. We look forward to Eggtoberfest,
    hope you & Richard will make plans to show. We have done your bananas since coming home,nice touch & great pictures.[p] Earl & Barb

• Tim M
    YB,[p]I assume Tuesday Morning is a store - weird name!![p]Tell me more about the 2nd grate for the small. I am going to play with an expanded metal grate for mine tomorrow - I had to get the hair dryer out to fire that little rascal up to 500 deg tonight to do London Broil. [p]Tim M
    tourch1.gif

• Tim M
    MollyShark,[p]You can also take that clip gizmo that you have on the inside of the dome holding the thermometer and move it to the outside. Remove the thermometer, insert clip and poke it in the hole. [p]
    Tim

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Stuart,[p]My second was a mini and I love it. Its great for picnics, campingand just quick cooking. It's also a cute one![p]Smokey

• YB
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />Tim M,
    This is a picture of the extra grate for my small egg,it is a 14 1/2inch weber grill from Home Deopt and 4-3 1/2"x5/16inch stainless steel carriage bolts for the legs, as you can see it is flush with the egg opening and would work great for pizza.
    YB

• YB
    gratedetail.jpg
    <p />Tim M,
    Here is a better picture of the extra grill for the small egg.
    YB

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    JJ,
    Is that a triple 2 x12 under that deck, supporting all that weight? Bet your the envy of the neighborhood. Do you have to get a special burning permit to fire those up all at once?

• J Appledog
    JJ, Isn't it great how the grill from the mini fits right on the chiminea! JCA

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MAC, Hya Mac, in place of JJ's answer, I will toss in a note here. Interesting that you bring up timbers..Just happens that JJ is quite a unique craftsman. He rebuilds the timbers and planking of wooden sailing crafts, and is also a licenced 100 Ton class steamer Captain. So you can see why the "Old Skipper" is cantankorous at times :-)
    Yahoooo, did I say that?? :-) BTW, I think the deck will hold up..heeeeee...oooops, did it again!
    C~W[p]