Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weenies and ribs :)

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today the weather was beautiful in Milwaukee, absolutely perfect day to get my egging fix in. Del had a hankering for some hot dogs so I cooked up some for him to take to work and re-heat. We've never been big hot dog fans but ever since we saw the posts about Fred's hot dog stand in PA, we've had a change of heart. I emailed Fred and he me told exactly how he cooks his hot dogs. The diamond cuts really gets the hot dogs nice and crispy on the outside. Never had a hot dog that tastes the good in my life. The cuts make them look pretty cool too. :)

Special thanks to Grandpa's Grub for his help with my pictures. I think you got me straightenede out. Thanks for you patience and time. :)

Didn't have any Pearl's but these very tasty.

009-1.jpg

Did diagonal slices one way.

010.jpg

And then the other way.

012.jpg

Cooked them at 500 per Fred.

023.jpg

Mmmmmmm, these were delicious!!

024.jpg

Next up ribs. My parents found some ribs on sale and asked me if I'd cook them. I was more than happy to do it for them. I needed to redeem myself after the god awful ribs I made last time that were so tough they couldn't even eat them. This time I used a new method and had great results. Absolutely delicious ribs.
I just got a call from them and they said they were the best ribs they've ever had in their life. Coming from an 80 yr. old that's a huge compliment. :)

Tried a different rub on each rack.

003.jpg

Got the rub on and refrigerated overnight.

033.jpg

Got the egg stabilized.

020.jpg

A couple of good size pieces of hickory.

016.jpg

Platesetter in.

017.jpg

Drip pan on top of platesetter and ribs on,

028.jpg

Sprtiz at one hour or when the color gets developed. Then spritz every 30 mins. after that until they've been on about 3 hours. They're at the 3 hour mark and ready for the foil pan.

030.jpg

I put them on a rack in a foil pan with apple juice in the bottom. Covered the pan with foil and back on the egg for another 90 mins.

031-2.jpg

Done. Cooked to perfection and very tasty but I need to work on the appearance. I'm going to practice again tomorrow. :)

032-3.jpg

Comments