Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lg Egg vs XLg Egg

grillking
grillking Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have decided to purchase the BGE, now the question is do I buy a Large or an XLG? It will be used primarily for me and wife and two teenagers. On occasion though we have 4 to 6 people over and love to do roast or steaks and side items. What would you egg heads recommend?

Comments

• Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    I would suggest to get a large, learn it and love it, and the add a small or medium to it later on.

That way you dont have to fire up the XL for a small cook and can use both with different settings (direct/indirect), temperatures or with and without smoke and are very versatile espcially with sides and stuff.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    You can easily cook for 10 people on a large.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree! Large now and add a small later - the combo gives so much more versatility than wrapping up all in 1 XL.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I agree a large would be fine. I have two larges but that is my choice. One for baking and one for smoking meats. There is only two of us but I use the large all the time. Am looking into getting a small sometime soon.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    I agree with two Eggs. I have two large Eggs and can do two different things at the same time. And you can get a lot of stuff on a large.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I too went to my Egg store to buy an XL thinking I needed the extra size. The owner, after asking about my needs, said I only needed a Large and suggested I post on here to get other opinions. I did and I went with the Large and have not regretted it. I have since added a Medium.

You can definitely save on lump using the smaller Eggs and as noted you can cook at two different temps with two Eggs.

The only time I even think about needing an XL is when I am doing a bunch of ribs. (I like space between my racks.)

You can't go wrong, but my vote would be for the Large with the idea of adding a second Egg down the road if you desire.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • DB in NY
    DB in NY Posts: 4
    I myself am in the same situation. I decided on the XL because I only plan on having one egg. You can get the lump reducer for smaller cooks. I like the idea of having the extra space when needed. It would only take me one time not having enough space and I would regret my decision on not getting the XL.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I totally agree with you. You think you have enough space until you need more.
    I enjoy my XL and I too use a Lump Reducer. Today is the first time I am NOT using the Reducer and I have had my EGG for almost a year.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Lambchops like in LXA?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    There is only a limited number of people that can truly tell you the difference (pros/cons) between the Lg v. XL, and those are the folks that own both. But its kind of like asking a parent which kid is your favorite? Odds are they love them both for the own unique qualities. ;)

I myself own a Lg and think its plenty big enough to cook a ton-o-food. When I first started looking I also struggled with the Lg v. XL question, but now that I own one I can truly see the benefit of owning multiple eggs. Next on the list is either a 2nd large or a small. The benefit of the 2nd large is that you can share eggcessories. The benefit of the small is that its portable and can cook smaller meals fast.

To be honest, I'm having fun just contemplating my choices and will have fun once I pull the trigger.

Good luck with your search,
    Bryan
  • Wolf, Is that you in the background of the sausage photo? If so, NICE HAT!!!

Go Steelers!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I don't think you can go wrong either way.

If you want it primarily for smoking, the large is plenty big. If you do a lot of grilling and want the surface area, the XL is sweet. The XL is huge (very heavy). :blink:

I have an XL and medium, and love them both. The XL is easier as far as ash management. I end up using my medium for 2 out of 3 cooks.
  • grillking
    grillking Posts: 16
    I went ahead and bought the LG. I am liking the idea if I find myself needing another I will possibly go with another such as the Medium. Thank You all for helping me to decide.

Coming Soon my GREAT recipes!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Nope I am the fat one. The ball cap is on top of SteelerFan, another EggHEead..