Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humpty-Dumpty Crash Bars?

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,079
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
- New, flimsy Chinese made gazebo from big box store, $270.
- 5 week old large BGE w/accessories, $950.
- High winds on the great plains of Nebr. in Springtime, free.
- The feeling from uncovering a toppled egg and only damage is one broken Egg-Mate, Priceless!

On a serious note, there are 4 chips in the glaze on the dome. These are located where the glaze meets the machined surface the gasket is applied to. The chips are half moon in shape, about 1/4" in size, about 1/8" deep. Rubbing a fingernail on the exposed ceramic causes sand grained sized pieces to rub off.

Do I need to seal up this exposed ceramic? Any recommendations of a product to use?

Kind regards,
dbCooper

DSCF0112.jpg
DSCF0114.jpg
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    OUCH!! How did we miss all that bad weather (KC), they had a tornado in St. Louis.

Mike
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh geeze!!! :( That's the same wind we had. I'm sorry for you. I'd contact the mothership with that question after hearing what folks say. Thank goodness only chips.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sounds like cosmetic damage to me - not structural. In that case and considering how it happened I don't think that is a warranty claim by a long shot. Your dealer should have some touch up paint - if not take a piece in to a craft store and you can find a small bottle of acrylic paint for a couple bucks that will match quite well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    sounds like cosmetic damage to me - not structural. In that case and considering how it happened I don't think that is a warranty claim by a long shot. Your dealer should have some touch up paint - if not take a piece in to a craft store and you can find a small bottle of acrylic paint for a couple bucks that will match quite well.

Thank you for the advice. Sealing up the chips is my main goal, to prevent them from potentially getting larger.

Indeed, submitting a warranty claim for this would be out of the question.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    JB Weld!

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, Fl
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I have a recommendation for you, db. Turn yourself in!!!! We've been looking for you since the early '70s. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious