Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For the split top bun fans - today's experiment

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm starting the "instant potatoes and nonfat dry milk" version of the Bun Pan recipe.

The raws:

raws.jpg

The machine working on the dough:

machine.jpg

As a side note, last time I made the recipe with potato flour and Baker's Special dry milk, both from KAF. In that case, the volume measurements and weights pretty much matched those given in the recipe below. This time, 1/4 cup of potato flakes only weighed 1 ounce and 1/4 cup of nonfat dry milk only weighed 5/8 ounce.

Because both grocery store items were much larger "particle size" than the KAF products, I assumed there was more air/less product in the same volume measurement. For the experiment today I increased both so that the weights matched those given in the recipe. For potato flakes, this was about 2 tablespoons more and for the dry milk it was almost another quarter cup. Interestingly, and perhaps confirming my decision to match weight, the dough still only required 8 ounces of water.

More photos later. Recipe below for those who missed it, since it's not on the KAF website (I got the recipe at the KAF store when I bought the pan 4-5 years ago).

Michelle

New England Hotdog Buns

These classic rolls, with their straight-up sides and soft texture, have been filled with everything from hotdogs to lobster salad in these parts. Now you can have them fresh and warm from your own oven!

3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) sugar or non-diastatic malt
1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) potato flour or instant mashed potato flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) soft butter
1 large egg
1 to 1 1/4 cups (8 to 10 ounces) water

Using the dough cycle on your bread machine, place all the ingredients into the machine's bucket according to the manufacturer's directions, and press start. To mix by hand or mixer, stir together all the dry ingredients. Add the butter. Beat the egg and 1 cup of water together, and pour into dry ingredients and mix well. Knead the dough until it becomes shiny and elastic, about 10 minutes by hand, 5 or more by mixer. Ad additional water if the dough is stiff. Put the dough into a greased bowl, turn it over to coat it, and set aside to rise for 1-2 hours (The dough should double and be puffy looking).

Turn dough out onto a work surface that's been lightly floured or greased with non-stick spray. Shape the dough into a 6 x 15-inch rectangle. Place into the lightly greased hotdog bun pan. Grease the bottom of a clean baking sheet and place it on top of the pan so the rising dough will fill the pan evenly. Let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the dough has almost filled the pan.

Preheat your oven to 375F. With the baking sheet still on top, bake the rolls for 18 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and bake a few minutes longer if necessary to brown the rolls. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove the buns from the pan and place on the rack to finish cooling. When completely cool, slice each bun down the middle horizontally, without cutting through the bottom; then separate into individual buns. Yield: 10 buns.
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• mkc
    Options
    Continuing on...

The dough seems much lighter than previous batches, definitely much stickier, and smells wonderful.

dough.jpg

The entire batch weighed 780+ grams, so that's 78 grams per bun (easy metric division since the pan makes 10 buns....).

weight.jpg

I divided it and very lightly dusted with flour (too much flour during shaping might toughen the dough), then shaped into logs by rolling back and forth.

doughballs.jpg

Into the pan

shaped.jpg

then topped with a greased sheet pan and into the oven to proof (the sheet pan helps direct the rising so the buns aren't overly domed at their midpoint). I use the oven since it's a draft-free environment. It's not turned on.

proofing.jpg

More to come....
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    This is interesting - looking forward to the next installment and seeing the finished product!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Michelle, is that a Williams-Sonoma baking stone in your oven? I bought one a couple of months before I decided to buy my egg. Poor planning, huh? Haven't used it since. :lol:

Good luck with the split-tops. I am fortunate that I can buy them anywhere - just wish I could find some that were big enough for a Pearl quarter pounder!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mkc
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Michelle, is that a Williams-Sonoma baking stone in your oven?

No, it's from Dacor (the brand of ovens I had in our previous house). It's quite large - 20 x 15. DH bought it for me for Christmas one year to help with my pizza making obsession (even greater than the split top bun obsession). I suspect its a Fibrament stone, given a slight lip at the back and the standoffs on the bottom.

The ovens are Monogram ZET2PLSS (builder only installs GE products here). The stone lives in the lower one for days when it's too windy to egg (because of flying sparks).

And the upper one is preheating now for the bun bake.

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    Options
    Buns are done, cooled, separated, and split.

The verdict? BEST BUNS YET!!!

Lightest, right texture, right moisture. A winner!

After rising 1 hour 15 minutes

done%20rising.jpg

After baking 5 minutes with the sheet pan, these had popped much more than the previous ones

bake%205%20minutes.jpg

At 9 minutes, I had to pull the sheet pan off

bake%209%20minutes.jpg

At 23 minutes they came out of the oven (based on the last batch looking good at 21 but being a bit too moist).

bake%20done%2023%20minutes.jpg

Bottom view

bottom.jpg

Out of the pan (and I remembered to turn the flash off). Please excuse tonight's pizza dough (7 day cold rise), next week's dough in the bowl, and DH's comfort food (Vienna Fingers) in the background)

out2.jpg

Completely cooled. I mean COMPLETELY - do not separate or slice before then. I did need to slice 3/4 way down to separate each bun - they could not be safely pulled apart without some knife assist. Pulled apart the final 1/4, then sliced 3/4 deep for the "split top".

Slicing (with a glass of Pahlmeyer Jason, because nothing goes with pizza better than fine wine, and that's what was in the oven while these photos were taken)

slicing.jpg

Another sliced view (the basil chiffonade in the pic was for tonight's pizza)

slicing2.jpg

The group shot of all 10

group%20shot.jpg

THIS is my recommended bun recipe :woohoo:

Michelle
    My carb-erator is exhausted ;-)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    These look fabulous - I'll definitely be trying them!
  • mkc
    Options
    Thanks! We just had them for lunch (sorry, no pics, we were hungry :blush: )

Perfect texture. They toasted up very nicely (and quickly).

I'm off to find some Maine lobster to make a couple lobstah rolls next...

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN