Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot & fast brisket w/o success

EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello together,

motivatet by a few tutorials and a few posts of hot & fast briskets, I did today my first attempt.

Here was the cow:

P1000014.jpg

Injecter with butechers BBQ mrinade and rubbed with Suckelbusters Comp Rub:

P1000015.jpg

Put it very high on the adjustable rig, this was the egg temp:

P1000017.jpg

Reched 160 F internal after 1 hour !

Wrapped it in foil and put it again on the egg.

Again 1 hour later:

P1000028.jpg

Pulled it of the egg and placed it in the cooler

Parallel I cooked the sides:

P1000032.jpg

P1000033.jpg

P1000037.jpg

Moment of truth:

P1000040.jpg

P1000042.jpg

The flat was definitiv to dry. Tastet not bad, but it was to dry.

The other end:

P1000044.jpg

also not better. I didn´t seperate the flat + point. The fat layer between the muscles was tough. Normally melt this in your mouth, but not here.

Don´t know what´s going wrong. But it was definitiv 3 leagus dryer and worse than my low & slow briskets.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Uhh... not to be a smart alek, but... maybe cook it low n slow instead?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Are you saying this only took 2 hours? My flats take 5-6 hours even hot and fast.

Mike
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Strange, when I have done HH cooks, it's been in the 5 hour range. This seems too quick.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Is that two briskets, or one that is butterflied? There is grain running in odd directions and a really random piece of fat in the middle of it.....very different looking IMO
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    That's an unusual looking brisket. Can't tell the size of it from the picture but how many pounds was it? Butchers BBQ is great but you need to add some other ingredients to it. Way too salty if you use it according to the package instructions. Did you let it marinate over night? You need to inject as much as you can possibly can into it to get a moist brisket.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    you didn't mention if it was tough or not. No plateau time?
  • EggSimon
    that is a typical German brisket cut.

The German butchers cut the briskets half a way in the middle and fold it. :unsure: So ya can buy it.

The best chance is, seperate the brisket complete, and have 2 parts. One part is only the flat, and the other part consists of flat and point.
    That´s definitive not the way I want to have a brisket, but noch choice. I have to use, what I can get.
    The butchers don´t know briskets for smoking / cooking. The only destination they know is soup cooking...

This was a 7 pound brisket.
  • EggSimon
    yes, it was tough.

It was dry and tough, all what ya don´t want for a brisket.