Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Emergency - whole beef tenderloin (now w/ pics

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friend in the 'hood asked me to grill his 2 whole beef tenderloins today at 11:30am EST for a big birthday party he's cooking for. I would rather Egg them. Any suggestions? He already has them marinated I believe, so no prep to do. Looking for setup ideas of 2 whole tenderloins. Thanks Eggies!
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sear at 500-600 all the way around. Pull off, put plate setter in. Stablize at 400 and finish indirect until you get the desired temp you want.
    Mike
    Options
    I seared them on the gasser, then went to the Egg at 350 direct, no smoke. Pulling off at 120 degrees.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mike, would a sear burn whatever marinade is on the meat? I don't know cuz I don't think I've ever done it - just askin'.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'm sure it depends on the sugar content, but he should only have it on there for around 90 seconds.
    Mike
    Options
    The marinade is worcestershire and montreal steak rub. It charred a little on the gas, and was starting to flare up. The sear was maybe 5 minutes total. The drips off them are putting some big smoke clouds out of the daisy wheel. I rotated them after 15 minutes. Thinking of flipping at about the 30 minute mark.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good point. I was thinking about the posts I've read lately about searing steaks only with salt - and adding any other spices during the roasting phase so they don't scorch. Not that I usually follow that advice. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    They took an hour. One was 126* and the other was 118*. They looked good. The external fat charred some. Pictures to follow. I won't have the sliced pics though. My neighbor gave me the ends, so cooking those tonight.
    Member since 2009
    Options
    The smmoke coming off them
    232323232%7Ffp%3A7%3A%3Enu%3D3238%3E374%3E%3B67%3EWSNRCG%3D3368%3A%3A8659339nu0mrj

The results; smelled great.
    232323232%7Ffp9%3A2%3Enu%3D3238%3E374%3E%3B67%3EWSNRCG%3D3368%3A%3A865%3B339nu0mrj
    Member since 2009