Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE frustration - please help

Options
edg1
edg1 Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I have had my egg for a few months now, and I have had problems with temperature control for anything over 250f. Last night I about hit my limit.

I have a medium sized egg. I loaded it up with BQ Galore mesquite charcoal, which started up nicely. I put in the platesetter, legs up, so I could do a roast. I had the bottom vent fully open and the top uncovered, yet the dome temp never got above 300f. After almost 1 hour of pre-heating, and another hour with my roast in the egg.

I am going to check this AM to see if the fire grate is blocked. I would love some ideas on what the heck is going wrong here.

Thanks,

edg

Comments

• CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    I am pretty new to the egg to and my first few cooks I had trouble with the temp. I ended up switching from the fire starter squares to an electric starter and it made all the difference in the world for me. There are people on here that say you don't need the electric starter, but I do. I also was not adding enough lump, I now fill it to the line. How long are you waiting until you add your meat? I fire it up and wait about 30 minutes to get the temp regulated. I am not an expert by no means, but these things did help me. Good luck.

Katie
  • chudn
    chudn Posts: 28
    Options
    Assuming all the holes in the grate are open, I will occasionally put a box fan in front of the lower vent to add airflow.

I still can't believe your temps did not go higher with the setup you described. Is the dome thermometer calibrated correctly?
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Make yourself a Jiggle stick.
    Backinsaddle.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    1. Calibrate your dome thermometer.

2. Clean out firebox, grate, and ashpit.

3. Be sure firebox opening is aligned with bottom vent.

4. If using starter cubes, light fire in three places.
    [I cut cubes in half, place a triangle in 10, 2, and 6 position with good results.

5. Allow fire to get a good start before you put in platesetter or close dome. Anywhere from ten to twenty minutes.

I hope one or more of these helps B)

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Cpt'n Cook wrote:
    Make yourself a Jiggle stick.
    That's what I used yesterday when I used too much old small lump and the Large wouldn't go above 300º. A bit of work with the wiggle stick and it shot right up to 500º for the pizza.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Look in bottom vent to be sure in line with firebox.
    Be sure your temp gadge is calibrated.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Capt Frank's process is one to follow. I agree re the electric starter, now sold on it after trying a variety of things. Good luck.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • edg1
    Options
    Last night, I waited almost an hour. I filled the lump as high as it would go, and I used three of the BGE paraffin fire starters.

edg
  • fish tacos
    Options
    Sometimes when I want a high temperature I will start a load of lump and let it burn awhile before adding some more fresh lump on top. Be careful though, the temp can climb pretty quick.
  • edg1
    Options
    I have not calibrated the thermometer, but it is reasonably correct.

I can tell because after 2 hours, the meat temp was only 130f. For a 3lb roast at 350f, the temp should have been close to 160f after 100 minutes.

Thanks for the ideas.

I will investigate and report back.

edg
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    you mention 'charcoal' in your post, is it lump or briquettes? Just wondering.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • edg1
    Options
    Hi All,

Having nothing better to do than experiment with my BGE, I did just that.

Last night, I filled the charcoal to the top of the fire ring. Today, just to the top of the fire box.

DSC_6933.jpg

I used one square of fire starter, cut into 3 slices. You can see how it was arranged.

DSC_6934.jpg

I cleaned out the firebox, it was basically full, after last night.

I left the bottom vent full open, and let it go for 15 minutes. I put the lid down, but put nothing over the top vent hole. It still took a full hour to reach 300f. Then I added the platesetter, legs up, and the grill, and in another 20 minutes it had hit 400f. Then I closed up the vents.

Thanks,

edg
  • edg1
    Options
    Lump. BBQ Galore lump mesquite.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Sorry not giving you my opinion on this again...lol I'm not an eggspert :) Hope you get it worked out.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I fill mine up to top with lump "almost" every time. It does not have enough lump, IMHO. Don't give up, I helped someone who ready to push hers in the pond. This forum will help you.

Mike
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ok boys... you now guys have me really scratching my head.

I fill mine, for ALL cooks, just a bit past (maybe 2" max) the TOP of the firebox (past the BOTTOM of the fire ring).

If you filled it with lump up to the TOP of the fire ring, and then put on the cooking grid, the grid would be like 1/2" from the coals (for direct cooks). I think that would be TOO close in anybody's book.

I've filled it like this even when using a plate setter, feet up, for indirect (done it for turkeys and ribs, which are both long cook times) and without the plate setter for for burgers and chicken.

What gives???

P.S. I'm not a "grill-master" like some of you, but I am also not a complete neophyte... I've got a good variety of cooks under my belt (as evidenced by the gut hanging over same said belt) ;)
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    One of the things I like about the electric starter is that I can use it on very windy, dry days. My Mapp gas torch creates so many sparks jumping up from the lump that I get an uneasy feeling when the wind is blowing at 40mph.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Before you lit the lump, did you stir the lump pile with the ash tool to shake off the ashed over used lump? Still sounds like an airflow issue. If you stirred the old lump, cleaned the ash out of the bottom, started it, blowed on it some to catch (I use an Air Grill), close the lid, with daisy wheel off and bottom vent and screen wide open, after you wiggled the holes with a wiggle stick, it should come up in about 15 minutes to 350*, even sooner depending on the lump.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I rarely cook on the fire ring. With a full load I'll just go higher up with the adjustable rig. For steaks I'll cook high then go back to the standard height for the sear. Fishlessman has great results with very little lump in the firebox cooking slow direct.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hey Pint size!

Haven't seen you around in a bit. You're not giving cooking advice here are you? :P
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    never,, but I start a mean fire ;)
  • Purpose
    Purpose Posts: 91
    Options
    I have a medium egg as well and havent had these problems. esp when using new lump. I also use starter cubs.

How is the alignment of the body/ dome of the egg. Any possibility losing heat there? Gasket OK?
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Very strange, edg1. It certainly sounds like you're doing the right things. Where are you located? Maybe it's time to have a friendly experienced egghead over to help figure this out. Most of us will work for food. B)

Here's another set of step-by-steps:
    -Stir up the old lump from the previous cook, to clear out the loose ash.
    -Top off with new lump.
    -Open the bottom vent all the way, and check to make sure you don't have so much ash that it's inhibiting air flow. If so, clear out the ash. I cook on the egg 2-3 times per week, and probably clear out the ash about once a month.
    -Use a wiggle rod (straightened clothes hanger works...that's what I use) to make sure the bottom grate holes are clear, and that you have good air flow.
    -place two or three starter squares in the lump, and light. Leave the dome open until they are no longer flaming.
    -close the dome (top vent should be uncapped)
    -allow the temp to approach your final desired temp.
    -open dome, place in the plate setter, drip pan (if using) and grate. Close dome.
    -Set the daisy wheel on and use it and the bottom vent to control the temp to your final desired temperature.
    -Smell the smoke to make sure you've got good clean smoke before cooking.

Have you tried a different bag of lump? Your lump hasn't gotten wet, has it?
  • SmokyArkie
    Options
    I had some problems like you describe but hang in there it will get better.

The other guys have already given you great info about the air flow and fire starting methods but one thing you might look at is your thermometer.

My wife and I were getting ready for a cook but the temp wouldn't budge. I could feel heat and see smoke but the gauge didn't match up I decided to pull out the temperature probe and it resisted, it was bent ever so slightly. I straightened it so that it would come out and the temperature immediately jumped to what you would expect. Somehow I had bent it when I shut the lid on a big cook. Even a little bend can give you a false temperature reading in my case a false low reading. I could have been happily cooking and visiting a lot earlier.

Good luck.
  • SmokyArkie
    Options
    What about the air holes in the side of the firebox? Could they be clogged?