Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Consider buying an egg

grillking
grillking Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I am new and want to ask. I have always cooked on a gas grill, what makes the egg special? i have read all about it but want to know from owners. Can you control the heat as they say?
Thanks everyone....

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i have had mine a month. wish i had bought it years ago. Yes it is as good as they say. And yes you can control temp very easily.

just buy it. you will not be disappointed.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    they are actually very easy to hold tempratures.. if you get a chance there are several eggfests around the country if you can make one of those they are worth the trip..

i have smoked cheese on my egg

DSC_0002.jpg

seared steaks

mmturk035.jpg

baked bread

DSC_0006.jpg

and cooked pizza

DSCN0266.jpg

03-03-08001.jpg

that is just a few of the things my egg can do your gas grill either can't do or can't do as good of a job.

after you get your first egg your friends will be able to call you a king ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It is everything you imagine and MORE.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Youn can control the heat very well on the egg. You can cook very low and do bbq, all the way up to 700* (plus) to sear steaks. It will do great pizzas and anything you could imagine doing in your home oven and gas grill plus smoking.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've been an egger for 10 years and have 4 BGEs. I'm 65 so my "lifetime warranty" may be shorter than yours, but the younger you are the longer you can enjoy this side of life! We aren't snobs - we know value, GREAT food and THIS wonderful watering hole of folks with the same interest. Don't be fooled with the cheaper knock offs...they are NOT a BGE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • is the dealer asking if you would like the extended warranty.

I bought my Egg 11 years ago and haven't looked back.

Last week my SIL took me out to see his new biga**ed gas Weber. he apologized because it wasn't an Egg. He's a good guy so I forgave him. He can come to my home if he wants real food from a grill.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Yes you can even in the rain like I did tonight. I just love my eggs. It is not that hard. I haven't burned up anything yet.

Patti
    Wihcita, KS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    LOL - will he also invite you over when he kicks its sorry butt to the curb in a few short years? Us Eggers have the last laugh - those gasser users just don't get it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    temp control takes a bit of practice, but is quite easy once you get the hang of it.

THEN THE FUN BEGINS! :laugh:

Brisket Flat...

Brisket1.jpg

Brisket4.jpg

Home Made Bacon

Bacon2.jpg

Bacon3.jpg

Bacon4.jpg

Pizza

Pizza1.jpg

Pizza2.jpg

Pizza3.jpg

pizza7.jpg

Pork Butts

Butts.jpg

Can you do that on the gasser? You can on the green egg. Just my opinion.

Mike
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    What makes the Egg so special? You not cooking with gas.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Temperature control depends a lot on heat retention. Open that gasser once at 700° load it with steaks and its 400° and you have a long wait to get to 700° again, if you can. Not so with the Egg and its heat holding ceramic.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    They say pictures are worth a thousand words. Click on a few pictures and you will have your answer. Many of the photos are of cooks that you just can't do on a gasser.
  • I've had the same Weber for about 10 yrs now and have loved it. A few of my friends bought Eggs and convinced me to spend the money on one. I can honestly say its the best $1000 I've ever spent. I have used my Weber once in the past 6 months and it just didnt taste the same.

I have a few reasons why I think the Egg is great. I personally think its the flavor the natural lump charcoal puts off. The flavor of the food is incredible. The temp control is very very easy once you get the hang of it. I can smoke ribs at 250 for 6 hrs or sear steaks at 700. Another is how juicy the food is. The first time I cooked grilled chicken breast, i thought it was undercooked as it was so juicy. I cook an entire pack of boneless chicken breasts on Sunday and eat them for lunches through the week. Its my effort to stay healthy. They are still juicy on Friday. There is no way chicken breast off my Weber would taste good a few days later much less 5.

This forum has been a huge help to me as i get all my recipes of it. Its like having one big live cookbook from mostly normal people who are not chefs for a living.

I cant recommend it enough!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    The eggs are the best hardwood lump charcoal grills and are the best for controlling heat. Adjustments are easy with the lower draft door and then I can dial in the top control vent for a target dome temp. It's fun!
    IMG_3788.jpg

BGESmokingCheese0005.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    :laugh: :laugh: Try that on a gasser. :)

Lookin good
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Good looking brisket you have there. One day mine might come out like that.

GG
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I am so glad I bought an egg. Just wish I would've bought it sooner. The food that comes off of it is amazing. Everything is moist and delicious. I iniitally had trouble with temps but now it's a breeze. One of the forum members (Grandpa's Grub) posted a pictorial on how to set your vents for different temps. Don't have it handy but I'm sure you can get it from him. :)
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Clay, I love that second picture.....very cool!!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    It is a little more complicated. But eventually you will be fine. I mean you are the grillking. :)

Mike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    FriendsDontletT-Shirt.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    You are the "BreadKing"
  • I kept my gasser, and have only used it for quick hotdog cooks since buying my egg. Have loved everything that has come off of it!
  • I gave away the gas grill & got a Mini for those quick hot dog cooks!

On a more serious note, the BGE is an excellent tool. Like any tool, you'll have to use it a bit to develop technique. That said, if you're a terrible cook, it won't magically make you a great one. You still have to pay attention, use quality ingredients, and have a grasp of live-fire cooking fundamentals.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i think that title belongs to egret ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Brian0527
    Brian0527 Posts: 13
    I don't even recall how I stumbled upon the Big Green Egg about a year ago but I'm so glad that I did. You'll never get me back to a gas grill. I got so tired of the flare ups, burned steaks, dry burgers and rusted out parts I was looking for a change.

I have not burned a single thing on my egg. I cooked some awesome hamburgers the other night If I can say so myself. How much easier can you get than get the temp up to about 650 drop the burgers on, 2 min later flip em, 2 more min flip 'em again, close the vents to shut it down and 5 min later SHAZAMM! Awesome burgers.

Christmas dinner was the Creme' d-la-creme' for me though as my family couldn't shut up about the turkey I cooked on the egg. After an hour of sitting at least by the time I transported it to the dinner location juice was still pouring out of it. You'll never get that on a gas grill.

You need someone close to you to cook you something on the egg, even just a plain ole burger and you'll be SOLD.

You'll never catch me cooking on a gas grill again! Once you've had a Big Green Egg You'll NEVER go back! Absolutely no regrets here!
  • Big Irv
    Big Irv Posts: 6
    Hello Grill King! Controlling temp is a breeze! I own the largest Weber Gas Grill made. (Never use it anymore) Two months ago I purchase the Large Big Green Egg. I love to grill and it has opened up a whole new world of adventure for me. Actually, I just sold my Large Egg to upgrade to the XL Egg as I am cooking for larger groups lately. (Thanks to the BGE) My recommendation, go for it! You will be amazed at the ease of cooking and the flavor of the food. Go Large for a normal size family or XL if you like to entertain. :)