Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first boston butt cooking times...

thunt1
thunt1 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying my first boston butt tomorrow in my egg and need a idea of cooking times for a 5lb one. I have read and I know it needs to reach 190 to 200 degrees internal. Also anyone using something other than just a rub on the butt? Thanks..

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Rub is all you really need. Some will use mustard and that is fine if you want to. Cook around 250 indirect and you should be 9-11 hours cook time. If you need to finish earlier you can bump to 275-300 and cut the time to 7-8 hours or so.
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    I put yellow mustard on mine. You can not taste it and it really helps to hold the rub on.
    I try to maintain about 225 cooking temp and use a remote to tell me when it hits 180. I then wrap in foil and it rest in a cooler filled with newspaper.
    This is one of the easier cooks I would figure 8-9 hours cooking time for 5 lbs. Oh be sure to take out of fridge and let it come up to room temp or close to it.
    good luck
    gp
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Yeah, but mustard just makes everything messy, especially with ribs. I have great luck without it. Rub sticks just fine to a butt without mustard, it is moist enough.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    You will be fine. Your first butt of many to come. Enjoy your cook and take some pic's. Let is know how it went and how good it tasted. Tim
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Explain why you would want to take it out of the fridge to "come up to room temp"?

It's not going to come up to room temp even if you leave it on the counter a few hours, but that's beside the point. What do you hope to accomplish by allowing it to warm before putting it on the cooker?
  • thunt1
    thunt1 Posts: 3
    well thanks for the help with the times on my butt..it looks like its going to be run on the money for time.. finally reaching 177 degrees at 8hrs now.. egg at about 210 all day..bumped it up to about 220 to hurry it a little..

will post a pic of my butt when its done!! man that sounded wrong..