Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for Fajitas (Skirt Steak)

Options
Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have any cooking tips for Fajitas? (ie internal temp, dome temp)

Thanks again!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

One of my first egg cooks was fajita's.

I got some steak, seared it caveman style for 60 sec/side. Then cut the meat. Veggies cut and got the cast iron pan, worked on the veggies until soft, them put in the meat. I put the tortilla over the meat/veggies and heated them with steam for a nice soft sell. Also, heat a tortilla right on the grid for a crispy shell and both had a different and wonderful taste.

My dome temp was 350° for this cook.

Fajita.jpg

Season the steaks as you like or if you have time marinate.

A great cook on the egg and pretty hard to mess up.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    evoo, a nice spicy rub of your chioce, fresh lime juice. Simple but tasty!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Use skirt steak for the meat. I used this marinade from all recipes.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fajita-Marinade-II/Detail.aspx
    Marinate the steak in that recipe overnight if you can. I did add a little bit of mexican chili powder to the marinade. After you cook the skirt steak make sure you cut it thinly against the grain. Heres my post.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=842646&catid=1#
    I believe my dome was at 400 for the whole cook. Good luck!
  • Mr. Matt
    Options
    What temp should I sear the meat at?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

On this cook I just put the meat directly on the lump you can see the amount of red in the lump. The dome was as stated above. I would guess right on the lump would have been 700° to 800°. When the lump has an orange lava look it is about 1000° - 1200°.

The sear here was a light sear and the meat finished cooking in the cast iron skillet when the the veggies were finishing up.

A lot of different ways to sear. Hot tub pre heat the meat in warm/hot water, then sear on the egg.

T-Rex, high heat in the egg sear, remove the steak let the egg cool down to do the final cook. This leaves the meat out of the egg while the egg cools down.

Reverse sear, cook the steak then crank up the heat in the egg and do the sear.

If you like a heavy sear on your meat then do that it is just a matter of personal preference. People will sear steaks in a lot of different ways.

I like to get the meat close to the lump for the sear then move the meat higher in the egg for a final cook.

For those that don't have any/many accessories an easy to way to sear is to load the egg to above the holes in the fire box, remove the fire ring and light the lump. Dome about 350° & stable. Put the grid on the fire box and do the sear. Remove the grid put the fire ring in and then replace the grid and meat. No waiting or cooling of the egg for the 'roast' side of the cook and no stress on gaskets.

I purchased the adjustable rig and spider. I use the spider with a smaller grid to get the cooking surface right next to the lump for a sear. Great accessories if you don't have them.

Here is a picture of the spider in inverted position holding an enameled cast iron pot. For a meat sear I use the spider legs up, a smaller grid which puts the meat very close to the lump and I get close to a 800° sear. I leave the smaller grid and put on the adjustable rig to get the meat into a cooler/normal cooking position. This can be accomplished in a lot of different ways.

chili1.jpg

GG
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    I don't worry much about internal temp with skirt. Find a rub you like.Egg temp to nuclear, 3 minutes each side. Let 'em rest for 2 minutes and slice across the grain. Very easy cook that is always a crowd pleaser
  • Mr. Matt
    Options
    I wanted to thank you and everyone here in the forum, always so helpful! Will you be at the Texas Eggfest?