Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Green Egg - any idea?

KellyPuff
KellyPuff Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi! My husband and I just bought out first Large Green Egg - we will be setting it up later today and grilling for the first time tomorrow. We purchased a Large Egg with the full table on wheels. My question: any suggestions for a good 1st meal (it will just be my hubby and I)? Thanks!

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    of course it depends on what you like, but spatchcock chicken is a good choice, it is nearly foolproof and delicious :) !

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    First things First. Welcome to the Forum and Eggdome. It will be a fun experience and it will change your life. There is a great deal of information traded right here on the forum. I suggest in the beginning to stay tuned. The responses can be incredibly quick so it is a timely resource.
    I am new to egging but not the forum. The consensus will probably point you to spatchcock chicken. Do you have a placesetter? If so, an indirect cook is always good if not a whole chicken then parts. I have really enjoyed indirect cooks of pork chops
    Make sure the first 5 or more cooks are in the low to medium temperatur range to as to not burn up your gasket so no pizza, steaks or high temp hamburgers. Under 500° is probably a safe place to start.

Again Welcome to the family.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    yep spatchcock chicken dome 350 degrees, cook either direct or with placesetter. season up chicken with something simple or what you like, I just use Mrs. dash. On skin side for 10 minutes, then turn over and cook till done. Themometer at 165 in the breast, or about hour and 15 minutes. Put some potatos on at the same time and bake them in the egg too. maybe put them on 15 minutes early. then some asperagus on for the last 10-15 minutes.
    you will be wondering if you will ever use your oven inside again. ( I am)
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Did you get the platesetter so you can cook indirect?
  • Spatchcock Chicken is good and pork tenderloins always turn out good. Plenty of receipes here on the forum.
  • I'm doing a grilled salmon w/basil cream sauce.

SalmonwithBasilCreamSauceRiceBrocol.jpg

Salmon with Basil Cream

The Sauce:
    1 cup Cream
    20 fresh basil leaves pureed
    1/3 cup white wine (I used a Pinot Gris and drank it over dinner)
    2 cloves garlic.

1 Transfer puree to a small heavy saucepan and stir in the cream, heat to simmer, reduce by 1/2 , takes about 15 mins.
    2 Whisk in 1tbs lemon juice and 2tbs unsalted butter. Remove from heat and cover.
    3 The Salmon:
    4 Marinated for 15 mins (while making sauce) with 2tbs lemon juice and 2tbs EVOO, salt and pepper. Once sauce was done, grilled 3-4 mins per side.
  • Gpisces
    Gpisces Posts: 11
    Hi Kellypuff,
    I agree with the consensus of Spatchcock chicken. I've only had my egg for 3 weeks and that was the first thing I did. Pretty near foolproof and soooooooo tasty.
    NakedWhiz has a great tutorial (With pictures!)on his website.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

I didn't have any way to lift the grate, so just did it on direct heat and it came out great!! (And convinced my "Only ever used gas grills" hubby that this really is way better!!)

Enjoy!
  • Thank you so much to all for the warm welcome and the advice - spatchcock chicken it is. No, I did not purchase the indirect cooking "plate" - bummer, I was there yesterday, too.

GPisces - so helpful with the tutorial - gracias!
    Salmon w/pesto is on the list - looking fabulous.

I will post tomorrow eve with the results. Everyone have a nice Saturday eve!