Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting time of green egg vs. gasser

2»

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If I am testing to figure something out or answer a question, I log every minute, double check with a second thermometer and stay there all the time.

If I am cooking I really don't care. I stay with the egg while it is getting close to being stable, but that is something I enjoy.

You are right, it really doesn't matter other than conversation.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

Cold.... oooooh. I remember installing some photographic processing equipment for the police in Billings Montana. Hells bells that was cold. Noon walking down the hardware store, 6 minutes, my nose froze inside and if I rubbed it I could feel cracking of the snot. Instant Popsicle if if one was to take a leak outside.

You know the snowmobile'rs code don't you - never eat the yellow snow. :)

The first time I was winter egg'n doing a butt. It was about 2am, snowing and dang cold. I had some heavy winter boots on the outside was mostly rubber. However, I only had a sweat shirt and some sweats. I had just got my flame thrower (weed burner) and it was so cold even with the cold weather boots I was using the weed burner to heat the cement on the patio. I ended up melting the boots trying to get the cement warm enough.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Never been in your neck of the woods but I would think your humidity is higher than outs. Usually the feel of cold with high humidity is colder than the same temperature in dry humidity.

When I was a lot younger we would haul a tent trailer up into the mountains in the winter to go snowmobiling. We got down to -35° up there but we were dressed for it and the sleeping bags were designed for that temperature. We had to wear face liners and goggles when riding.

At my age the cold is pretty unconformable but I still like the crispness and quite of a cold snowy night. Sometimes (once in a while) when doing a butt in the winter I will go set the egg up about 1 am. I enjoy sitting out by the egg lighting it and looking and listening.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Bacchus wrote:
    I'm really thinking my time here has run it's course. I was just looking at my membership page, and joined on April 10, 2008. 2 years seems to be it. I have learned some and contributed some. I have made several friends that I hold dear. But there is way to much narcissism to weed through. I really have nothing left to offer, and I will email my friends when I need help.

Bacchus out.

Reading some of your posts lately I was wondering what was up.

Sorry to hear that.

Kent
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Laughing my ass off. :laugh:

Ya know Wirsbo? The radient heat 'tube' people. Now Upunor or something. When they built a big new plant here in town the decided to install the pipe in the whole parking lot. Guess how long they ran that system?

About a month :laugh: Cost'em a fortune. :P
  • Ripnem
    I'm with you on the nice crispness.

the worst I've seen it was 30-50 below for a week or so at a time. Outside just isn't the place to be.
  • Grandpas Grub

OK, I'll stop complaining when it is cold out here. I can only imagine the power bill. Oooohwee!

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

The radient heat tubes are supposed to be great and pretty inexpensive to run - aren't they?

Wait till summer, 118° at times - I get to complain then too.

Kent

• Ripnem
    GG

With an efficiant boiler and a well insulated home. Yes.

A 40 acre (total guess) parking lot....not so much. :laugh:

I just can't believe they had to put in the whole system and run it for a month or so to realize it was one of the most inefficient ways of ridding the snow. :laugh:
  • Chef
    Chef Posts: 7
    His response to my last attempt using youtube videos of the green egg "If I didn't already have a big Oklahoma Joes' smoker/grill I would probably consider the egg. I have another 1/4 inch thick steel smoker that's awesome too. I need convenience right now. (I pulled the trigger on a Weber ES 320 Stainless) I've gone to the dark side and I know the good chefs like you are really dissapointed in me. Sorry bro"