Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2010 VS 2009 XL COMPARED!!!

Options
SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are starting to get the new for 2010 XL model Eggs.
I took a couple of quick snapshots comparing last years (new for 2009!) model to the latest version. Here's a couple of quick pics showing the dome height.

Measurements are from the top of the vent down to the cooking grate WITHOUT A PLATESETTER in the Egg.

2009 model ................

XL2009-1.jpg

XL2009-2.jpg

2010 model below .............

XL2010-1.jpg

XL2010-2.jpg

** 1" more dome height !
** It's now exactly the same as the Large Egg.

*** Other changes .... the

CHARCOAL GRATE : is made from some sort of very thick (and nice) steel ... looks like a very good improvement... also ...

FIREBOX : now has a slot cut into it to alleviate expansion and cracking.

HANDLE : now mounted with more screws (bolts?) which makes it MUCH more stable

All in all good improvements

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I sold all the new ones before I had a chance to get more pics . When I get more in stock, I'll shoot a comprehensive video.

Happy Eggin!
FB/SGP
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    1 inch.. that makes me feel better, That is not going to make much difference in space on the inside. probably just a cosmetic difference in the long run.
    It was probably a manutacturing advantage to have the same profile as the Large.
    I have 2009 model and I was a little concerned i bought an obsolete product. . but not now.
    I am happy.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Thanks. Great info!
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    somebody's an engineer ! Happy Eggin
    FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    You heard it here first ! Happy Eggin Todd.
    FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    You are welcome! Happy Eggin
    FB/SGP
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Looking at them side by side at the OKC Eggfest last week the new dome looks more domey.

That's a technical term, "more domey". :P
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Bill S
    Bill S Posts: 22
    Options
    Tweev-Tip wrote:
    Assuming 1/2 of a perfect sphere, the old design will have 7069 in^3 of interior cooking volume. The new design, which gives one additional inch will give 8579 in^3 of cooking volume (not really because that is using the simplifying assumption that the ceramic has zero width).

Anyway, with that assumption, the new dome provides 21% more cooking volume.

Amazing what a difference an additional inch can do.

That's what she said (sorry, couldn't resist).

Are you assuming the same diameter at the base? I think it probably adds about 453 cu. in. instead of 1510, but I could be wrong.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    That looks correct to me! The only diff is the very center is raised into a little more of a dome. I doubt if the inside space volume has increased very much because the only "raised up" portion is at the top of the dome.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    So is it more cosmetic is anything ? I have an "09 XL, should I feel like I NEED the 2010 model ? I would like to think not but then again I do want a Taylor TC5 guitar as well.

Gary
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I don't see any reason to upgrade ... the change is so small that we didn't even notice it for a couple of days after we set it up... save your cash for that great guitar and call me when you're ready .. nod nod , wink wink. :laugh: