Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight butt question HELP

fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so here's my dilemma.

I usually buy my butts from a local butcher bone in. A Costco recently opened up in town and I decided to buy from them. Two butts that were boneless.

I figured since I've never done a boneless butt before I should lower my temp, put the meat on later, and it should hopefully be done in the afternoon sometime the next day.

That didn't happen! So I cooked indirect at 225* using my GURU to an internal of 190*. I have cooked to 200* before with poor results. I prefer 190*.

Anyway, it hit target temp about an hour ago 9:00 AM Eastern time. Now since its in ramp mode and the temp is lowering in the the pit its smoking like crazy. That's fine, except for the part where I don't want lots of funky smoke to badly effect the meat.

So what would you do? Leave it on until the internal meat temp starts to drop and pull it off anyway?

I usually wrap in foil, towels, and place in a cooler. That keeps the meat piping hot for hours. Problem is, we won't be eating until around 6 PM tonight.

Any other options? I'm not sure if I foil, towel, and cooler it right now it will make it nice and hot to tonight at 6 PM.

Thanks for looking!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Smell the smoke. If it smells nasty, pull the meat and wrap in foil. If the smoke smells pleasant then keep it on.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    ;) I've never used mine in ramp mode. That being said I'm not sure what the guru is doing. One thing for sure, if it is keeping any fire going in the pit, the meat temp is going to continue to climb. It will climb some if you pull it now and wrap it up.

I don't think you have much choice but to wrap it and place in cooler. If you need to reheat it some later you can pop it in a 200 deg oven or fire the egg back up. Keep it wrapped up when reheating.

Pulled pork is very forgiving, don't sweat it.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Thanks for the speedy replies yesterday!

I wanted to give an update.

I pulled the roasts at about 11 AM. They were foiled, toweled, and put in a cooler. We took them to a party and pulled the first roast around 5 PM. It was still steaming when the foil was opened. It was perfectly smoked, juicy, and tender!

Heck, I had one roast left I pulled when I got home and it was still hot 12 hours after it went into the cooler! With that much time I'm not going to worry about that ever again.

Thanks again!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]