Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket

PCO3PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was watching the Food Network the other week and they had their BBQ marathon on. One thing I noticed was one of the restaurants featured actually sears the brisket before slo n lo cooking. I thought, what the heck and gave it a try. While they need to do this to help with moisture retention because they are not using the earthen cooker such as the BGE I thought it might improve my brisket. Plus it gave me a reason to fire up the gasser. Well, I think my brisket came out more juicy. I am interested to see other's opinions.

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,295
    PCO3,
    That is interesting. Not positive, but have heard from several good sources that while searing does cause a reaction that creates a unique and wonderful flavor, it does not seal in any juices. [p]I was also under the impression that searing might inhibit further smoke penetration, and would be curious what you thought of the smoke flavor that you got.[p]Trying different things is the best way to learn. Did you noticed an enhanced flavor in the crust from the sear?
    Happy freedom weekend.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • StubbyQStubbyQ Posts: 156
    Only one problem with that. After you get the egg to nuclear temps it takes forever to get it back down.[p]You want to know a secret?[p]The key to juicy, tender brisket is time, and lots of it. I use a Guru and cook a 10 lb to 185° for about 12-14 hours at 225°. It takes time to break down the collegen. I have tried several techniques for brisket but this is the best (IMHO). [p]You can actually see the brisket hit the collegen level, set there for a long time and then break through it.

• PCO3PCO3 Posts: 50
    Nature Boy,
    Will let you know after BBQs tonight and tomorrow. The flavor is great but the smoke ring (pink ring) is not as prevalent.