Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings taste test..\"Ono\" vs \"Grove\"

Options
reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope this works this time! Thanks for everyone's help.

I wanted to do a little taste comparison with some lump. I used "Ono" in one egg and "Grove" in another. Took a couple packages of "Smart Chicken" wings and put some Dizzy Pig Tsunami spin on them. Set up both eggs at 350 degrees, indirect. One egg had Ono lump and the other had Grove lump. Cooked the wings 30 mins., flipped, 30 mins. more and flipped again. Raised the temp to 425 degrees. Dipped the wings in Frank's red hot sauce, butter and parmesan cheese. Cooked another 10 mins. to crisp them up a little.

Both were delicious, not too spicy, and very nice and crispy. :) I definitely liked wings the cooked with the "Ono" lump better. It has a wonderful aroma and taste. In my opinion nothing compares to the flavor created by the kiawe wood they use to make "Ono". Kiawe is a Hawaiian mesquite. Nothing the mesquite we have in the states. The hawaiians solely us kiawe wood for their luau's. I've used it with pork and it's faboulous.

"Grove" has a nice mild smoke flavor also but doesn't compare the flavor of "Ono".

Cooking indirect is makes cooking wings easy. You don't have to flip continuously and no chance of a flare up. Makes cooking large quantities a breeze.

ChickenWingsOno-Grove.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove4.jpg

Lots of nice big pieces in the "Ono"

ChickenWingsOno-Grove5.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove19.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove19.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove6.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove7.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove3.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove18.jpg

My guard dog was with me today.

ChickenWingsOno-Grove16.jpg

Here's Gatsby hard at work

ChickenWingsOno-Grove17.jpg

Springtime in Milwaukee

ChickenWingsOno-Grove11.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove13.jpg

ChickenWingsOno-Grove12.jpg

Some petrified wood from the "Petrified Forest" in New Mexico. Geological data for the Forest Bed that it is from shows that it is about 209–214 million years old. The ninerals dissolved and turned into crystaline quartz.

ChickenWingsOno-Grove9.jpg

The koi are moving, glad they made it through our brutal winter.

ChickenWingsOno-Grove10.jpg

Life is good!! Happy Spring everyone!!!! :)

Comments